ok so i was just eating some leftover from last night and a large piece of check fell on the floor right next to my dog's bed, jake the greyhound.... so of course being a dog he snatched it up and ate it. i didn't think much of it but then my husband said to me, that had a bone in it!! he's gonna die!
so now i'm all worried! so then jake started to act like he was going to throw it up but he didn't. so... i don't think i should try and make him puke b/c then it would scrach things up...
any ideas? do you think he's ok??? we are going to watch him carefully
One of my mom's dogs, a 45 lb mix, at an entire leg bone whole after he swiped it off the table. The vet said he should be OK since he did not chew/splinter it and told my mom to make sure he eats and monitor his bowel movements. So she was out at night with a flash light, watching the dogs poop, looking for the bone. Eventually she gave up looking for the bone but the dog was fine, that happened years ago.
First of all, great to see a post from you. Sorry it was under such stressful conditions, yikes. I have gotten myself all worked up over every little piece of tomato, chocolate, and chicken bone.
At one point, I had to speak to neighbors because bones after their cook outs were ending up in my yard, much to my displeasure.
Important to know what is normal behavior for your dog. If then you are in doubt, I would say time to panic (I say this fully aware that the next time something happens, I will be in your very position...so easier said than done!)
You have to realize, that you can't be in control of every aspect of life, no matter how much you drive yourself nuts trying. So don't beat yourself up and tell your husband way to help the nerves and lend support!
I can't speak for your dog, but I nearly lost my Japanese Chin last year, after he got into some chicken bones that someone has thrown over the fence. Guess they thought they were "feeding" the little dogs, but it nearly cost Tyke his life.
The dogs were out in their pen for about an hour and came indoors, since I don't like to leave them outside for too long, with their short muzzles, they can overheat.
When we went to bed that night, Tyke yelped when I picked him up to put him on the bed. It was unusual, because he always jumps up on the bed himself, but he just stood there. I thought that odd, since I didn't squeeze him or anything. We went to sleep and I awoke to Tyke screaming in pain. I didn't know what was wrong, thought maybe he had broken ribs or something, when he was outside roughing around with the girls.
It didn't get any better and as soon as the vets opened, I called. My usual vet couldn't get me in for 2 days, I tried to explain that this was a dire situation, but couldn't get past the front office gal.
I finally ended up calling a country vet and he said bring him out, right away. He examined him and Tyke was still yelping in pain. He told me that he was going to xray him, but would have to knock him out to do the xrays, since he was in so much distress, that he didn't think he could get the xrays done while he was awake.
He told me to go home, because it would take time to awaken from the anesthesia. When I got home, they called and said he is bleeding in the stomach area and will require immediate surgery. I told them to go ahead and proceeded to cry my eyes out.
Luckily, he was able to save Tyke, but it wouldn't have taken much longer and he would have been dead. He had surgery to repair the damage and remove the sharp splinters of bone from the stomach. He had to be on a bland, soft food diet for some time.
Thanks to God, he recovered. I would be lost without Tyke. I am going to be putting up 6 foot wooden fence along the road, to try to keep people from feeding the dogs or calling them over to the fence. I don't want to ever go through that again.
Best wishes and I hope all goes well with your pup.
Do they even have canned asparagus in the states??? it should be preserved or whatever it's called that way when it rips apart it kinda surounds the bone and the bone will come out the natural way without rupturing anything.
My dogs hate it but I'll dip them in mayo and kinda force feed it. The mayo just makes it easier to slide down. We've got loads of idiots who leave bones everywhere.. When Luke was a pup he'd eat them.. now they know better.. As I said they hate asparagus.. lol
If you think dogs can't count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket and then giving Fido only two of them.
Pope, just curious as to why you worry about tomatoes? Dogs can eat tomatoes safely. I use to have a Scotty that would eat them right off the vine. And was even smart enough to wait for them to turn red. It took me a while to figure out why I always had green tomatoes on the vine, but never ripe ones. Silly dog was eating them. Currently my girl Breeze will go nuts trying to get on the counter if she knows I am slicing tomatoes. She loves them.
He's your friend,your partner,your defender your dog.You are his life,his love,his leader. He will be yours faithful and true to the last beat of his heart.You owe it to him to worthy of such devotion
Apparently no one ever told my Chocolate Lab that tomatoes were on the forbidden food list, since she is a nut over tomatoes. It even got to the point that she would go out into the garden and help herself to fresh tomatoes off the vine. She is going to be 10 years old in July and is still going strong.
I'd save the tomato peels and cores when cleaning tomatoes for home use and give them to Cocoa. You'd think I had given her a big steak bone, she loves them.
Wonder why they are considered toxic for dogs? Years and years ago, not many people ate tomatoes, evidently they thought they were toxic also.
I've not looked into it. Perhaps its one of those things where if they get too much at once it is no good for them. I hear about dogs eating tomatoes off the vines all the time and they are fine. So I don't know.
Whoever said you can't buy happiness, must have never owned a dog!!!!!!!!!!!