I have had a 1 1/2 year old female pug, She just came out of her 2nd heat. I thought I was doing great keeping her and my male pug seperated. They are both kennel trained and sleep in there at night. One night my male busted out of his kennel and poped one of the springs loss, well is happens sometimes so I figured I needed to upgrade to a metal crate instead of the plastic kennel. So the next night only having one kennel I put my female ( sushi ) in the kennel and let my male ( sumo ) sleep in my daughters room. Well he some how during the night Sumo got out of my daughters room and sushi busted out her kennel ( but she didnt break it ) She was in the later part of her 2nd week in heat. What are the chances of her being preganant? and what should I do? My vet is probley going to kill me, I really had not planned on breeding them becaue they are reg. through different clubs. Im so scared for my sushi, she is not 2 years old yet, plus I never had a dog that had puppies. What do I do?
Sorry this happened to you. Talk to your vet and decide what to do.
That being said...you are going to get lots of questions on why you didn't get her spayed already..so be ready for the questions. People here are pretty passionate about getting animals spayed or neutered unless you have show dogs and have them with champion backgrounds.
It is alittle late for that and I hope you don't get hammered about what has happened.
Yeah spaying now, would basically abort any unplanned pups. Big headed dogs sometimes need C-sections too as pups have a hard time passing thru easily. You tried your best to separate them. Its best to leave breeding up to those that do the proper testing for the breed in question.
Whoever said you can't buy happiness, must have never owned a dog!!!!!!!!!!!
If the breeding did not take place more than 24 hours ago, run do not walk to the nearest drug store. Get a vinegar and water douche and use it on your female. Sperm can live up to 72 hours in the females uterus. This could keep her from getting pregnant. And no, I am not nuts, it does work. If it has been longer than 24 hours chances of it working are slim to none.
So the next step would be to get a blood test anytime after 23 days. This will tell you early on if she is pregnant. If she is, then you need to get some books and start studying. You can still have some of the genetic testing done on both parents, even though you won't be able to change what is what. You will at least be better prepared for possiable issues with the pups.
What are the different registries? That too might be able to be resolved.
He's your friend,your partner,your defender your dog.You are his life,his love,his leader. He will be yours faithful and true to the last beat of his heart.You owe it to him to worthy of such devotion
the reason you wait until they are over 2 is so you can do all the genetic health tests done.
if she is pregnant you should really have her x-rayed & ultra sounded during the pregnancy. are you prepared for dead puppies if either dog has brucellosis? will you recognize if she gets into trouble & needs a c-section? pugs are very hard to birth successfully. c-sections don't come cheap.
right now there are 847 pugs & mixes listed on petfinder needing homes & that is only one messaged board. unfortunately many of them will be killed because there are no homes for them
I'd get them both neutered. that would be the responsible thing to do.
Did you witness them breed? If she was in her second week of her heat cycle, very likely that she did take. Her age seeing as she is 1 1/2 yrs old, would not scare me as much as the concept of whelping the litter. Dont take this as degrading, but it seems that you dont know much about breeding and whelping pups. You will have to make a decision now on spaying and nuetering before she gets too far along in her pregnancy.
If you choose to continue with the pregnancy, please research as much as possible and get with an experienced pug breeder. Pugs are a difficult breed to whelp. They many times require C-sections, you must be present to break the sacs on the pups, as with moms flat face, she generally cannot get a grip on the sac herself, many times they have difficulty or are not able to pass the pup resulting in pups getting stcuk in the birth canal due to the large heads of the pups. Talk to your vet, make a informed decision.
PM me if you have any questions.
People are like slinky's, not really good for much. But its still fun to push them down the stairs.
I see what everybody thinks, No I didn't see them together. On another note, I do have about 9 family members who have asked me time and time again if Im ever going to let one of my pugs have a litter, you see I have had pugs since I was a young teenager, these are just the first two I didnt have fixed at 8 months old ( and the only 2 I have right now ). I had always thought I would let sushi have one litter after she was 3 years old ( not to sell but give to family ) Due to medical problem I MYSElF will never have anymore children, and I always thought it would be neat for me a sushi to go though her pregnacy together Just no anytime soon. So that is the reason sushi wasnt fixed. Now for the male sumo, There is a whole different complicated story why he is not fixed! The lady I bought him from was the owner of this dogs whole pedigree ( no kidding ) and I was the first stranger she ever sold a dog to, she really wanted to keep him but she had no room, and her family and friends all had pugs, she checked me out from head to toe, my house, heck she probley had my credit checked but I passed the test and I got the dog, . I have no idea why she didn't want me to have him fixed because shes not a breeder for profit just an extreme pug lover. ( I know I didnt have to follow her wishes but she is really nice and always check on him) I actully called her and asked her what to do and she told me it was up to me and if I do decide to have the puppies she wanted one. I do have a appointment tommarow with the bet I guess I will know for sure then.
one more thing I do know how important having your dogs fixed is, when I was in my early 20s I had a beautifull male pug who was 2 , who I surrendered to a pug rescue because at the time I couldnt afford the opperation, it was the hardest thing I ever did but I knew it was for the best.