I bought my rat terrier a bark control collar for our walks.He barks at everything.When he got his first shock,he cried.Then he decided not to walk anymore and layed down on the grass.I had to coaxed him to get up.Is this normal? Need some tips.Thanks.
Did you have any training on using the collar? There are right ways and wrong ways to use it. I could be wrong but I didn't know bark collars shocked. I only thought those were E-collars (training collars). If you just started using this collar, your dog has no idea why you are shocking him. That's probably why he is not moving for you when you use it. I am no expert on these shock collars because I would never use them but I would contact someone who is experienced in using these collars to learn the right way and wrong way.
Most of those collars can be adjusted to control the "shock". You may want to see if it is to strong of a "shock" for your dog. There are so many of them on the market and they all work in different ways. You may want to refer to the owners manual and see how to set it and tips for use. The one I used came with a video on how to use it properly and it was very helpful although I do not use it anymore. What i use now is called Dog Off and I ordered it off the internet, here is a little bit about it................... "Handheld unit has one button that emits a humane ultrasonic sound only heard by dogs and another button that activates an audible alarm to startle an attacker. Trains your dog not to bark continuously, jump on visitors or pull on the leash." This has worked well for my barker.