OK,,remember my post about my mom's dog? (PTS or NOT) well, the vet called yesterday and nothing was wrong with her blood work, everything was fine. But he said to give her fish oil for her skin & coat, and to bring her back in 2 weeks. (he is supplying the fish oil) He said that if she loses any more weight in the 2 weeks, that he is going to presume that is is cancer. He said that there are 2 small glands by the kidney that could do this and it would not show up on the blood test. To do a test of these glands will cost about $600 he said. His advice was to wait the time out, and if she does lose the weight, there is no need to do the test, that he will be sure it is the cancer.
Does this sound right? My parents dont have the $600 to spend right now.
jackie, Quality of life must supercede ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING. That being said... what is she acting like right now. Is she in pain? is she active? can she move and get up and go out? Or is she totally lathargic and not feeling well and obvious signs of deterioration?
I understand completely what the vet is saying, not sure I agree or dont agree, need further information.
If he did an exam on this dog he should have palpated her abdomen. He would be able to feel masses if they're big enough. Isn't this the dog that isn't acting like normal? I have no idea what test he is refering to. Did he do an x-ray?
If she were my dog at this point I would judge her quality of life. Is she sore and stiff due to arthritis? There are pain medications they can give for that. I'm not sure I would go a whole lot further with the testing if she does not have quality of life. I mean what's the point? If it's cancer, are you going to treat her? I don't think I would. I'm just trying to be realistic. Ultimately it's your parents decision but I would not think "badly" of them should they decided the time to put her down is now. I just think it's important that they be comfortable with their decision.
I think she got the vibe, cause she is acting a little better. He did palpate her, but was unable to feel anything. He did a very thorough exam. SHe does not have arthritis. I think they should wait it out the 2 weeks and see. She is still alert, not just laying around, but like I said, you can see it in her eyes, something is not right. I will tell my mom what you guys suggest also. I have tried talking to her about it, but I think she is almost in a denial type state of mind right now. It's hard after soo long, I'm sure some of you understand. I know I do. But SHE is what is important at this point.
If it is cancer, they are not going to try and treat her. They will put her down then. I will talk them into it for sure. Thats just no way to live if you can help them.
based on what you just said, I really do not think there is a rush to make any decision at this point. Give it the couple of weeks. Within that time frame, if she takes a turn, then you know.
We of course understand, this just sucks when it happens. I lost my beloved 13 year old last year right after ThankgG. She was fine .... all of a sudden she stopped eating and in 48 hours we said good bye. Nobody knows how horrible and hard this is as do all your friends around here.
Keep your chin up, spit some more coffee and try and smile. Here if you need anything