okay! my son was outside with my puppy & ran to his dad to hug him goodbye. Of course, the puppy followed him & went underneath the car & started lappin up the antifreeze leak! normally, the puppy is no where near the garage! i called the vet immediately, gave him hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting & rushed him to the vet hosp. its been over and hour now & they did charcoal & did some blood work to detect any in his circulatory system. this test came back negative. so instead of bringing him home & observing him.....i decided to leave him there so when he acted 'drunk' they could immediately start the antidote & fluids....... they said that they have NEVER received a pet so soon after ingesting antifreeze & that this was going to be a benefit. He is only 3lbs!!!
anyway, has anyone had any experience with this? what chances do you think he has???
His chances are pretty good, if he was just lapping up a spill, and you made him vomit immediately. The charcoal should soak up the residue. If the test was negative in his circulatory system, it won't have had a chance to get to his kidneys. I think he'll be ok. Good luck, and let us know how he is.
lmao ....... yes i am totally serious. i forget now how exactly it works. whether it prevents the antifreeze from crystalizing in the animals system or the opposite from that. i dont remember but last year we treated a kitty with it and it was funny as hell watching the cat drunk on vodka lol but it worked !
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.
WEIRD! wonder who discovered that? i've never given it IV to my patients..... i don't understand when they told me that they could reverse the effects.......in a human, you can't......the damage is done.....so how/why would it be different in animals?
thanks everyone for your prayers & well wishes. Wrigley is home now & acting fine....it's been about 7 hrs since the 'incident' so I feel we are in the clear. thank goodness my husband witnessed him lappin up the antifreeze & i got to act quickly before it was absorbed into his system. so tomorrow the leakin vehicle is going to the shop.........!! i went to the petstore & picked up a leash thingy that drills into the ground with a 15foot radius: so when the kids take him outside they will automatically attach him to this so i won't be a worry wart anymore! and come hell or high water i AM getting that fenced in back yard i have been asking for for the past 5 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
thanks for your advice.........i am crazy in love with my canine baby!!!