I've seen a lot of posts on here asking about FIP so I needed to comment. My cat Milo was 1 in July and we hadn't even had him a year when we got told he had FIP. My mum went downstairs one morning to feed him and his pupils didn't dialate which obviously they should when exposed to light, so she thought that a little odd but thought nothing really of it, then in the evening when he came in he stumbled a little and shook his head. This kept happening which worried us all so we took him to the vets where they did a blood test and kept him in over night. They told us it couldn't be an infection because his temperature wasn't high so it must be something else. After a week of him being in the vets, we get all the test results back and apparently he's "fine" and we can bring him home. So thats what we did, apart from when we brought him home he was worse than before with the added loss of appitite. So we took him back to the vets the next day and the vet said that one blood result hadn't come back which was the FIP one, and apparently it was high so he told my dad the best thing to do would be to put him down. Obviously upset by this news we all went to see him to say our last good byes and the vet mentioned he was "responding well to treatment" which confused us because we thought there was no hope, and yet they were putting him on medication, so then we phoned the vets again the next day to clear things up and find out what was actually wrong with him, and we were told he was on steroids and anti-viral medication and he was responding extremely well for a cat that had FIP. So they told us to keep him in the vets for a week on medication and see how he responds, despite the fact they told us he would inevitably die from this. So we kept him on it for a week and then once he'd finished the treatment they kept him in for another week to check he didn't deteriorate and then finally he came home.
He is still here today and we still have no idea what was wrong with him. The longest a cat has survived with FIP once diagnosed is 26 months so fingers crossed he makes it past that point and doesn't have FIP. If I was you I would get a second opinion, because what if we had had him put down? what for? he's back to his old (young) playful self now xx
just returned from the vet with Missy. She is a 4 to 5 yrs old siamese. Got her from the SPCA in bad shape and now 3 years later, she turned blind -cataract- within 3 days. Blood tests show she has this high level of white cells and baytril [antibiotic] to take. Have any of you use any product for cataract? I am crying my eyes out, I feel so helpless and even hopeless
I'm late in the conversation..but I too have a sick kitty. She has not been eating or drinking at all for days now. She is lethargic and almost drunk like walking if she does get up. She stays near me but mostly lifeless like on the kitchen floor. She barely meows. She has started panting some. Very little urination, no stools at all. Extreme weight loss. The vet did blood work and said her white cell count was way high. But nothing else triggered on blood tests. My sassy was given an IV, a B-12 shot, and a antibiotic on sire. My vet said next step is ultrasound. She feels my kitty has cancer but can't say for sure without the ultrasound. I was told to decide if I want to pursue tests that can be expensive to determine her illness, or euthanize her. I feel a mixture of things but mostly I'm heartbroken. She is about 12, I adopted her when my mom passed away. The vet said, the tests that need done in comparison to how very sick she is and her age that I need time to think about it. I understand and appreciate the words but how do I know for sure? Do I need to know what serious disease or illness she has and will probably suffer with the rest of her life? Or can she be healed? I'm confused. I read that a poisonous spider can release its poison into an animal if the animal ingests it. That was a question I presented to the vet who was stunned by the question at first, saying she has never been asked that..to dismissing the idea. I read it on google but not everything on google is true. So again, I'm confused. We received the IV and B-12 and antibiotic.. If she gets better, I'll know the answer I suppose. Anyone have any thoughts on this?