Thankyou, I had already spoken to my vet. His response was "I can safely do it at any time." That wasn't really good enough for me. Mauser has been checked and can find nothing wrong with her. Scritch goes into heat within about a week or so after Mauser starts. Having two hormonal girls isn't any fun for them or us. The vet was recommended to me by aparn, the pug rescue in az.
So... you will take total stranger's opinion on the board on when it's safe to do the spay over a veterinarians? The veterinarian's "I can do it safely any time" isn't good enough? Would you like some fiery hoops for the vet to jump through?
I've never heard a single breeder (or veterinarian) say that it's best to wait 3 months after the heat cycle before spaying. I've heard that it's good to spay before the first heat cycle (or around 6 months). I've heard that it's best not to spay *during* the heat cycle due to increased blood flow to the area. But once the cycle is over though, it's back to being safe to spay. I can understand possibly waiting a week or two to make sure the vulva swelling and such has gone down, but not 3 months. Make sure to do preanesthetic testing on your dogs to check organ functions.
***Edited By: Minniyar on 1/22/2008 7:06:20 AM*** Reason: add
Never trust a tall dwarf... he's lying about something.
When my youngest went into heat 3 days before her scheduled spay appointment I called the vet and was told that he wouldn't spay her until 2 months after the heat cycle was finished. They said the logic behind that was that heat cycles are generally every 6 months to a year, by waiting 2 months after the cycle was done meant there was definately no swelling left and they were still far enough from their next cycle to not create any problems. Of course that logic would not work with a 3 month cycle...
No, I wouldn't take a stranger's advice over a vets. My vet's knowledge certainly surpasses mine. However other's points may help me address concerns that I wish to speak to vet about.
I work in the medical field myself (human), and know that doctors are far from infallible. They certainly can't read minds. I would prefer to have all of my questions answered before the surgery takes place.
I wouldn't get my vet to jump through fiery hoops, but if I could get the receptionist to do it, the wait in the waiting room would go much faster!
Minniyar's post is right on with what I've always heard and read. The only reason for waiting if it is during the heat is because of the blood flow. Otherwise the advice is always a resounding "Spay now!".