We are not positive but we think our 8 month old yellow lab swalled a magnet. It was on the fride earlier & it has disappeared. He is not acting strange (at least not yet), we are just worried what it may do to him. What symptoms should we look for?
Honestly to be sure, an x-ray would be the most reliable source and that way you could know for sure and not play the waiting game and worry about it. Xrays are fairly inexpensive, definetly worth the peace of mind you will have knowing wether or not he did eat it. And, if he did, and its small, the vet will probably just keep an eye on it and if he did start to have symptoms they would know exactly what to look for and expect and make it a lot less stressful and potentially the less permanent damage that would be done by a blockage.
A big symptom would probably be vomitting, our dogs have swallowed things before and vomitted a few times before it finally came out the mouth. My moms dog swallowed a marble once, being a small dog he vomitted and dry heaved a few times and came out a few hours later. We didnt know what was wrong or that he had eaten anything until it came back up. But if he hadnt vomitted it out, it would have been emergency surgery for sure.
I have a 2 year old golden retriever who used to get into everything when he was a pup. He swallowed an earring once and also had a field day chewing up our carpeting one day! My mother-in-law also has a golden who eats socks...he is 6 years old and still does! She was told by her vet to give him a tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide to make him vomit, but you have to give it to him quickly after noticing he swallowed something (whatever you want out needs to still be in his stomach, not furhter down his digestive track) They will vomit pretty quickly after giving it to them...but in your situation its too late to do that. I would recommend taking him in or at least calling the vet. But for future instances, hydrogen peroxide does the trick.