About a week ago my 10 month old saint, Chunky, stopped eating then began to vomit. After 2 trips to the vet, including x rays, chemical blood work, CBC coming out normal and a fecal exam it was determined that she has a bad case of whipworms. She is being treated with antibiotics, anti dirrhea, Reglan and Panacur. She continues to drink water and pee but has not eaten. The vet says that during treatment it's common for them to not eat, she also vomits about twice a day. Anyone have any dealings with this? If she doesn't begin eating by the end of the weekend she will return to the vet. Any suggestions? I have boiled chicken breast, have chicken broth for her and she did eat bits of it before treatment began. What do you all think?
That really stinks. Do you not have her on a heartworm program? It seems like both Interceptor and Heartguard protect against whipworms, it's yet another great reason to use heartworm preventative. I've never had a dog with hookworms, roundworms or whipworms while we've had our dogs on Interceptor.
I'm sorry that I'm not much more help, I'm kind of the mind thatt an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure :P
Never trust a tall dwarf... he's lying about something.
Bloodwork has to be done by the vet first to rule out heartworm before you can start them on the preventative. The vet can get the starting dose for you, if you choose to, subsequent months can be ordered through a supply company...there are many of them and a google search will pull up a list. As far as the worms.vomiting..watch him VERY close! We just had a rescue Mastiff come in with hookworm and vomiting. Even after treatment he continued to vomit and slowly not eat, he one day just crashed, rushed him to the vet and they lost him the following morning. Please monitor him close through this for any behavior changes as well no relief in the vomiting, lethargy, ect.
***Edited By: lpn169 on 2/28/2008 2:07:12 AM*** Reason: sp
People are like slinky's, not really good for much. But its still fun to push them down the stairs.
I'm surprised your vet didn't recommend the heartworm pills when you got Chunky. Anytime I take my dogs to the vet, they always ask me if I need a new supply of heartworm pills. I always purchase the heartworm pills from the vet because they know the weight of the dogs and that is very important for the dosage they need. Good Luck and I hope Chunky gets better soon.
lpn169, thanks for the info. She doesn't seem lethargic in fact this morning when I let her out I called to her and she ran to me. She seems slightly better in that regard and doesn't want to sleep under my daughter's bed. She seems a little perkier and was eating little bits before this worm treatment started, I gave her pedialyte last night and am keeping a close eye on her. I do work full time but go home at lunch to check on her. I am hoping that once the worm treatment is complete then she'll begin to eat again. Thanks for your info and time, it's appreciated!
I had a dog come in once with a really bad hook worm infection doing all the same things, vomitting, nasty poo, not a good apetite. My vet gave me the usual Panacur but he also gave me some injectable antibiotics, in my case it was baytril and the reason for that is.... Hooks and whips live in the stomach wall, they screw or hook them selves in and cause internal bleeding. Some of that blood releases into the stomach and goes through the whole digestive tract and comes out looking black and tarry. When you give the Panacur or other wormers, it is killing off those worms attached to the stomach wall, when they come out there are holes left where they were attached at causing possibly more bleeding and the lining of the stomach is in terrible shape and very prone to infection. So even after the worming it can appear to get worse and if bad enough the condition of the dog can worsen just due to the sudden onset of major bleeding in the stomach. Vets usually recomend deworming every 2 to 3 weeks for several months because there are several immature stages of those worms in the body still and most wormers do not kill the immature stages of worms, its only after they mature into adults that they are able to be killed by the wormer. I think the typical life cycle is about 21 days. You may have given wormer 5 days ago but, there were probably some that were on the verge of becoming adults and have since matured causing more adult worms and more adults lay more eggs and the cycle begins again. The battle of hooks and whips can be a vicious cycle.
Tatersmom, this is the kind of info I need. Chunky was given 2 antibiotic injections and is currently taking it in pill form, twice a day. Also taking Reaglan (spelling?) and has an anti dirrhea med too. Today I am going to get some Nutrical for her. She seems perky, wanted to play with the shih tzu, drinks, pees, just not eating. We finished the Panacur yesterday and I will worm agian in 3 weeks. I am hoping that since the worm treatment is complete she will get her appetite back, at 10 mos she weighs 101, and that's after losing weight due to this illness! thanks for your time, I really appreciate it, thanks..