My dog ate about 8 or so zicam (zinc chews) I really dont know how many she ate but some were chewed up and spit out. at least 4 were not ingested and I think there were a total of 10 or 11 in the bag. She is an 8 mo old lab. she seems fine right now but everything I am reading is that zinc is toxic (pennies). this was about 3 hrs ago that she ate it. what should I do? just watch her I guess but has anyone else had this happen?
Get her to the vet. On the yorkie forum I belong to one of the little yorkies swallowed a penny. They got the penny out but he has had to be put on iv's plus 2 blood transfusions. He is very sick and is still not out of the woods.
Call your e-vet now! Waiting gives toxins more time to absorb into th dogs system. Cal and verify that these are toxic, they may have you induce vomiting prior to heading to the office to get as much out of the dogs system as possible.
I have no personal experience with Zicam chews, but call the vet to find out if it is toxic.
People are like slinky's, not really good for much. But its still fun to push them down the stairs.
Call the vet immediately and see if they want you to induce vomiting before you bring the dog in. If so, the method mentioned above will work.
Then bring her to the vet. They might need to pump its stomach or give her carbon (to absorb the rest of the toxin), or if the zinc has reached her bloodstream, they may need to give the dog an iv or some kind of chelator. Bring the bottle with the label for the Zicam to the vet with you, it will be a huge help for the staff if they know the contents of what the dog ingested.