Do dogs go hide when they are having contractions then come out after it is over?? My pug keeps going under my son's bed for 10 min at a time about evey half hour to 45 mins.When she come's out she is a normal dog.
If she is behaving oddly, even if appearing normal again in a back and forth manner, then I would say YES, something is going on. Can you hear if she is digging under the bed? Can you possibly take her temperature? Just use a regular human thermometer, put lube on it, insert for about 1/2 inch for about 3 minutes. What day is she on now? Did she eat this morning and if so, did she throw it up or have diarrhea?
When she is under the bed she was scratching a little bit. Her temp is 99.0. She did eat this morning, but no vomiting and her BM is fine.For the past two weeks she has had a white dicharge.She is about 56 days.
The scratching/digging is what the nesting is. I would not be surprised if she went into labor tonight. Why don't you call your vet and tell them what her temp is and that she is doing a little bit of nesting. They may want to do the c-section today. It is risky taking pups even just a couple of days early and they can all die of if too early, but from what I have read this is a very high risk pregnancy due to the size of the father so it is a touchy situation. Here is what I would do - If you have an emergency clinic that you can go to immediately if needed tonight then I would wait it out until tomorrow. Then if at any time tonight she does go into active labor I would then take her there right away for a c-section. If the emergency clinic is not familiar with the situation they may want to give her oxytocin to help her along. Tell them NO and demand a c-section. If all goes well thru the night I would take her into my vet tomorrow to be evaluated for a possible c-section then. If you do not have a place to take her if needed tonight, then I would call my vet about seeing her now. You will need to set your alarm clock tonight and get up thru the entire night and check on her repeatedly. At each check with her, sit down beside her for several minutes and observe her closely while resting your hand on her abdomen. You are watching for any signs of pushing or a tight feeling in her abdomen. She needs to be crated in a very large crate tonight or put into a small room such as the bathroom. Keep her area warm and a comfortable place to have them. Do not just let her roam freely or stay on the bed. This is not safe. Myself, for whelping I like to use a small child's swimming pool (the little $6 one from Walmart) and I place shredded news paper in it. As they soil the paper I remove the dirty and add more fresh. Do not overfill as they can loose a puppy in it. But in your case we don't want her to reach the point of trying to actually give birth. After the pups are born I like to place mine into a large crate ( like for a lab) with a piece of very firm carpet cut out to fit the back half. You want stiff carpeting. I buy remnant pieces for this. Nice fluffy bedding can be a death trap for pups. They will be lost in it and mother will accidentally lay on them like this. If you use a heating pad, place it under the crate, not in the crate. I also have a nightlight installed with velcro in the back of the crate. It stays on 24 hours a day for mother to see well at night and it provides a little bit of heat in an enclosed crate. I also have a thermostat velcroed on the back wall. I cover the entire crate with a sheet but vent the front door. Adjust he heating pad setting as needed. Keep it about 80 degrees inside the crate. Place a cup that hangs on the door with water for mom several inches above floor. DO NOT place any type of bowl with water into the crate. You would be amazed at how well puppies can push themselves up the sides of surfaces. Now you need to call your vet now about either coming in now if no er clinic available, or to make your appointment for tomorrow. I don't know where you live but here where I live c-sections done at the er clinic run $1000 up. My vet, c-section with spay $650. So be prepared. Most er clinics will want the money up front. If this is not possible for you then you definitely should take her to your vet now. Sorry for the long post but this is a serious situation and I would hate for her to die, which is possible with the circumstances.
***Edited By: luvmydoxys on 5/1/2008 3:18:54 PM*** Reason: add more