When I took Duchess in to have her ears checked for what I thought was ear mites (learned it was yeast infection). I also thought the 'mites' were contributing to her full body scratching. I learned she has no mites - anywhere. She has no fleas, she's been treated religiously since March, yet she still itches and bites herself like there is no tomorrow. I asked the vet what she thought it would be, the same vet I've been going to for 3 years... and she pretty much disregarded it. My question is could this just be allergies? She eats Nutro Natural Max Lamb and Rice. She's groomed every 3 months, I only bathe in dog shampoo and she's never outside unattended to get into anything. I cannot figure it out and I feel bad for her. I know it's uncomfortable for her to itch like that all the time. Is anyone else having problems with this? Could it be the weather?
It could be Atopic Dermatitis, meaning something in her environment. Do you have a lot of dust in your house, or do you have to dust a lot? Dust mites are one of the most common allergens there are, and so hard to get rid of. Has she been out to a dog park, where they may have sprayed a pesticide in the ditch along the way? I hope you find out what it is, soon. I would probably try feeding her a grain free diet, first,and get an allergy test done. Good luck.[
It's a possiblity it's your food. I know with my youngest Pipi she was doing the same. I know the incessant scratching must have been driving her insane and I know it was driving us crazy! Mornings were always the worst. She would come out of her crate and scratch non stop for 15 minutes at least. It would get progressively less throughout the day but even when she was out for a walk she would stop every few minutes to scratch. I had her checked out by the vet and he could find nothing other than most likely it was a food allergy. Grain being a biggie I found a good grain free food and still no change. I tried several different grainfree lamb formulas because I was told it's a better choice for food allergies. Well after several different grain free, lamb formulas still there was no change. I ended up accidently buying a chicken grainfree formula because I was in a hurry and didn't look at the packaging well enough. Low and behold within about 4 days the scratching stopped completely!! I guess it was the lamb that was setting off the allergic reaction.
She's been eating the same food for her entire life, which will be 3 years in September. Wouldn't she have started itching a long time ago? I could be wrong.
Yes, my house is dusty. No matter what I do. I did just also have a parvo scare, a friend of mine bought a dachshund that had parvo and exposed my dogs/environment to it. I disinfected with "parvo foam", it kills Parvo, staph and herpes. They use it in hospitals to disinfect things. I never thought of that, I used it on my carpets and on my hard wood. Maybe -thats- it.
Halo'sfire, my dogs turned their noses up, started coughing and beat it out the dog door when I bought a wet swiffer. Needless to say, I never used it again. Do you have a place where you could keep your dog, a relative, or a friend, to see if the itching lessens? My house is dusty as heck, no matter what I do, and I vaccuum 2 or 3 times a day. My dogs pretty well all reverse sneeze, and snort and cough, not constantly, but I'm sure more than if they were outside all the time. Winter is the worst, and of course I can't open the windows; so I have air purifiers everywhere, and the dust and crap they catch is amazing. I would'nt mind betting that it's the parvo basher you used. Do you have wall to wall carpet, or hardwood?
Sorry, I just read the last part of your post. You have both carpet and hardwood. If you think the danger is passed from the parvo, I would try to clean the carpet and hardwood with something very mild.
This was just about a week and a half ago with the intense parvo cleaning. They said it -can- live up to three weeks in carpet, hard surfaces I'm not sure about. My dogs have all been vaccinated, so far so good... I would think that if they were going to get it, they would have by now. However, I'm still not too comfortable with rewashing stuff yet.. just to be safe. I used the parvo foam, then I used bleach spray. 80 percent bleach/20 percent water. It scared the living daylights out of me. I rented this house for 6 months, and I only got my loan in March.. I haven't even been living here a year and I wanted to move. It felt like I was living in a house full of disease. I didn't sleep for 3 days. I've finally realized it wasn't my fault, and that my dogs are all going to be fine. Parvo was always something that I heard about, a horror story. What that little dachshund went through I cannot even tell you. After 4 days of trying to save her, she had to be put down... poor thing. She was barely 9 weeks old.
I have 3 dogs that frequent my house. I have Duchess, my nearly 3 year old shihpoo. Then I have a male lhasa/shihtzu mix who's a little over a year, and a shih tzu a little over a year. However, the shihtzu and the shihtzu/lhasa split time between my home and my mothers home. I lived with her when I got them, and whenever I moved out she missed them so that we kinda have joint custody. They were, however, exposed to the virus because they were in my house while the dachshund had visited my home with my friend. They are also vaccinated, though.
My mother has also since decided to carpet shampoo and treat her entire house because the dogs that we 'share' were exposed while at my house and have since visited hers. Which means her other dogs were also exposed to it, though they are vaccinated.
This is a nightmare.
Another question: What do I do about the yard area? How does one disinfect an entire yard?
***Edited By: Halosfire on 5/13/2008 4:42:48 AM*** Reason: add.