I'm so sorry about your loss. There are several dangers associated with Rawhide. Most, if not all, are made from hides that are tanned outside the U.S. and any dog can swallow an unchewed piece that can swell any where in their digestive tract. I would love to be able to give my Rottweiler a rawhide or natural bone; he would love it. I would never be able to forgive myself if something happened b/c I'm aware of the potential dangers. Hopefully you will save another dogs life. Again I'm very sorry for your loss.
I am sorry for your loss. Mine get rawhide all the time, usually the pressed rawhide that way they can not bite a large peice off and swollow it. I have never had a problem with it, but I never give the bones. I have seen so many dogs in our kennel bite off the end and chew on it. The only real rawhide I give are the flat chips, and when it gets small I take it away.
I am glad you were able to save her. I can't imagine how scary that was! That's exactly why I watch my dogs like hawks when ever they chew on anything. You just never know! Rawhides, bones, treats, toys...they all have the ability to be dangerous and deathly! Thank goodness you were right there to help save her life and get her to the vet!!
"The dog has seldom been successful in pulling man up to his level of sagacity, but man has frequently dragged the dog down to his."