Our Catahoula was bitten by a copperhead last night. We took him to the emergency vet and they gave him medications to reduce swelling. They did not give him antivenom because we did not see the snake. We were told to watch for the runs or vomiting. What can I do to reduce long term effects. Does anyone have any idea what the next few days will be like? What is normal, what's not?
Are you SURE it was a copperhead? My nephew was bit by a copperhead. He went to the hospital immediately, had to stay there for 3 days, and almost lost a fingertip. (He got bit on the hand as he was reaching for something-didn't see the copperhead hiding there) His entire hand actually turned black.
So I'm thinking, if this really was a copperhead bite, your dog is going to need a lot more than just something to reduce the swelling.
I, too, would be very surprised if your vet strongly suspected a copperhead bite & did nothing more than give your dog something for the swelling!
If the toxin doesn't start working on your dog's internal organs (kidney, liver, etc.), it's my understanding that one of the primary dangers of snake bites is the serious (often life-threatening), chance of an infection caused by bacteria from the snake's bite & I believe dogs are also routinely put on antibiotics.
Additionally, it's also my understanding that dehydration is also a serious concern & most dogs treated for snake bites are given fluids intravenously to guard against dehydration, also a serious life-threatening condition. Please (strongly) consider discussing this in far more detail with your vet! Fingers are firmly crossed that your pup comes through this without a hitch.
Dogs have taught me all I need to know about life, love, loyalty, & laughter; & (heartbreakingly), loss & "letting go" of a loved one as well. God bless ‘em…
We live in an area that has a lot of copperheads we have had dogs get bitten in the past and the vet never gives any anti toxin. Usually just an anti inflamatory and mild steroid such as dexamethasone to supress the bodies reaction and you can even give them benadryl. Then an antibiotic is also prescribed to ward off secondary infections. Dogs systems do not react to copperhead venom like humans do. They react but not as badly. The biggest worry is if they get bit on the face and cause the airways to swell and constrict but thats what the anti inflamatory is supposed to help reduce. Your dog may be under the weather for a few days but will probably be OK. If you have any questions about the treatment your vet did dont be affraid to ask him why or why not.
OK. My dog was fine after a couple days of swelling and discomfort, but it just happened aagin. He went to the emergency vet (it was Sunday). He seemed back to his normal self. Now he is drinking lots of water and peeing frequesntly. I suspect kidney issues and we are headed for the vet this morning. Please keep your thoguths and prayers headed in this direction.
Dogs like yours have a natural survivability built in for snake bites. The bite area will swell. Some time on the paw the swolen area will tear open. There is no treatment for this. The vet may put on a show, run labs and such..... but the fact of it is the copperhead venom is a neuro toxin. It wants to affect quickly. So if the dog lives for the first day he will likely make a recovery. Border your yard with white lye . Snakes avoid it's caustic properties.
Copperheads are venomous snakes and have to be weakening your poor pups immune system. To have two snake bites in a few days tells me that you have a good food source for the snake(s) near your home. I certainly would prevent your dog from being bitten again, AT ALL COSTS, this year.
Snakes are hard to remove unless you do it manually, or they leave due to no food. I would contact a herpetology club, if there is one, to see if they would remove some snakes, and I would definitely clear out any shrubs, wood piles, bushes, etc., but a bulldozer sounds safer than doing it by hand.
We have lots of garter snakes in our yard, but there are so many voles, we need the snakes to take care of the rodents. The snakes are always on our sidewalk and freak people out, but we have such an active ecosystem in our yard, we need them.
He is your friend, partner, defender, your dog. You are his life, love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
My shepherd was bitten by a copperhead. There were fang marks on his snout and the swelling was massive. The vet gave him Benadryl, and a shot of antibiotics and steroids. Most large dogs will not die from a snake bite. If you are in a situatiion where you can not get immediate vet care administer Benadryl, I am not sure of the dosage. It is important to see a vet to get the antibiotics because the infection can kill the dog. Ranchers practice this and this was the advice from my Vet. A dog is not going to react the same way as a young boy so don't listen to that nonsense.