I took my dog Denver to the vet yesterday and the vet says Denver will die in 2days!! that was 24 hours ago so we are ticking down. The diagnois was that he has a tumor besides his liver that has erupted and enternal bleeding going on into his abdominal section. The vet went on to say that he could die in 2 days or a couple of months at the max. OMG i dont want my dog to die.. u have no clue how important Denver is to this family, to me.. he was here while my husband was in Iraq now my hubby home (30 days home)Denver CAN'T die(just not now). My question is...what can I do? I am a rational woman and fully understand the circle of life, but I'm kinda tired of being so giving and understanding the child in me is having a serious tantrum. Please help us if you can.. Thanks Tanya and Denver
There is no surgery or anything they could do? Is this your regular vet and do you trust his diagnosis? I also wonder why he would have sent him home to die instead of suggesting euthanasia if he is bleeding internally. I would get a second opinion if you are not ready to accept losing Denver. I am sorry for what you are going through.
When I read this post my very first thought was why did the vet not suggest euthinizing him as opposed to letting him go home, especially with internal bleeding. What tests were done to conclude this? Dogs get bruising just like people, if this is what the vet was looking at and made his decision. I would agree with the post above me and bring him to another vet. If you are low on money or on a budget like us check out your local universities with vet programs, sometimes you can get in there for a smaller fee then a clinic. The do surgery also for less then a clinic. If this was a small town vet bring him to one outside your area. Sometimes a small town clinic won't have the testing equiptment they need to do more testing. Not all but some. I'm talking very rural areas though. I would say get a second opinion. What do you have to lose with that? Good Luck, I hope it was a misdiagnosis on their part.
First I want to express my very deepest & sincere sympathies for what you're going through. Second, & no less important, I want to sincerely thank your husband & you, & your family, for the sacrifices you've made in service to our Country.
When you've lived as long as I have, & have outlived so many beloved dogs in the process, you'll find that, if you're lucky, your life will be filled with many special dogs who were there to stand by you & with you during various trying times throughout your life.
You're right that it's a tragic fact of life that we do outlive our beloved K9 companions, & you're also right that it hurts beyond measure to say our "Good-byes". But trust me, sadly when you say Denver can't die "now", it truly wouldn't be any "easier" in 6 days, 6 months, or 6 years. There is never a "right time".
With all the dogs we've ever had sharing our lives, though, not one vet has ever suggested or recommended euthanasia. They give us the straight scoop & then have always left it up to us to broach that horrifically painful option & I suspect that's what your vet has done. And after we've made that excruciatingly painful decision we've never had a vet even hint that it was the wrong decision.
Please know in your heart that every one of us who has ever lost their beloved pets do appreciate the tremendous pain you're going through & will go through after your horrific loss & I'm sure we're all holding you in our hearts. When the time does come, rest in peace beloved & loving Denver.
Dogs have taught me all I need to know about life, love, loyalty, & laughter; & (heartbreakingly), loss & "letting go" of a loved one as well. God bless ‘em…
Lucky Lady is well spoken. I have lost 3 dogs and I cannot talk about them without crying, because I miss them--they were an important part of my life. When Denver's time comes, I hope you are able to be with him.
Remember the Rainbow Bridge--he will wait there for you.
Always remember the good times.
Thank you for your service to our Country, God bless you
My first thought is go and get a second opinion. It is neither fair nor humane to let the dog bleed out. I'm so sorry you are going through this,and I would not stand by and take that vet's opinion as the only solution. Good luck with him, we will all be pulling for Denver.