I have a 2yr old male and since I've had to be back in FL the last 6 months he's been so itchy - he gets a bath every 2-3 weeks and he just always itches - his skin is a little pink - it may be allergies but I almost wonder if it could be the chlorine water here vs the well water I had in GA????? any suggestions
There are a hundred reasons why your dog may be itching, and chlorine might be one of them. Your best bet is to try and bathe him in soft water,for starters, and take him for a skin scraping and a complete blood panel. Have you checked to make sure there are no fleas lurking around, it only takes a bite or two to cause crazy itchiness. Have you changed his food, and what kind of food do you feed him? Good luck with him.
My first thought would be sand fleas. They are horrible in fl. and sometimes you never see them. My aussies have always played in the pool with me,and I have never had a problem with chlorine. My parents had well water, but we never put chlorine in it, so I didn't have that problem either. If you are not using something for fleas, I would start. Also I would purchase a natral spay like pet so soft, or natural Defense to spay on the dog at least once a day (I love it).
As far as foods, want are you feeding? Alot of walmart/grocery store food are not healthy, and can cause issues. I feel Innova, yes it is pricey, but they are healthy, eat less, and poop less.
My ex is who im living with at the moment and he feeds purina Adult dog food - I don't love it - but its cost affective because he has 3 other dogs. He's been on advantage since he's been in FL but in GA I had him on frontline plus....my ex's dogs were bad with fleas when I first got here and it took me a month or two to get that under control - baths, vaccuming, advantage and flea spray... I just saw that I shouldn't wash him as often as I do - my ex's yard is small 66x100 versus 10 acres in GA so I wonde if because all the dogs use the same area to "go" which is mostly dirt if maybe it couldn't be sand fleas or even some type of mites.... I want to settle this without the vet if possible because they are so quick to give an allergy dog prednisone and I haven't had any good experiences with that over the years
If you really cant afford a better food, you could try giving benadryl(sorry bad spelling). You give 1mg per lb of body weight. It does react with dogs the same way as people, and can make them tired. I am not a vet, and you probably should start there if nothing else has worked. It could be a mite or something. But it is up to you if you want to try to self medicate. good luck
for any true Aussie lover, check out WWW.BusterAlert.org. You should never use Frontline or Advantage or Hartgard on your Aussie. Aussies have a peculiar system and many are unable to process certain drugs through their systems. After prolonged use the medications build up in the brain.