I know I've asked questions here about this before, but I am really worried about having Buster neutered now. He's 5 months old right now, has had all of his puppy shots, clean bill of health and the vet can do the surgery pretty much any time. We've always intended on having him fixed, but now we've pretty much decided on WHEN we'll have it done. We are going on a cruise at the end of September, so I figured this would be a good time to have him neutered - while he's boarded at the vet. (I guess it's kinda a copout on my part too, b/c I don't have to worry about him licking at the stitches or anything, and if he should have any problems - he's right there)
I've been asking around and reading up on this online, and I'm worried about the whole English Bulldog and anesthesia thing. Is it common for brachycephalic dogs to die in surgery? I've read about the types of anesthesia and will be calling vets tomorrow (I'll use his regular vet if I hear the info that I would like to hear) to see what anesthesia they use, and if they recommend doing the surgery while he will be boarded with them. From what I can tell, there really isn't one "great" vet that EB owners all recommend locally. Every one that I've talked to seems to recommend someone else - so that didn't help much (talking to local EB owners).
I am also considering not neutering him. We will NOT breed him, but I am just wondering if there is too much of a risk involved with the surgery. He is our only dog, stays inside, and our backyard is fenced. I work from home, so someone is here with him virtually all day and night. No real chance of him getting out (I know accidents can happen though), so I wouldn't be worried about an accidental breeding. I've read conflicting things online as to whether or not the benefits of neutering outweigh the risks in his breed. From what I can tell, the prostate cancer risk does go down, but it's minimal to begin with. His temperament is wonderful, but even if he were to calm down a bit post-surgery, that wouldn't be a problem. He is a great dog, and I just don't want anything to go wrong.
Am I crazy to want to do this while we are not here to be with him while he recovers? I think I'd feel safer with him being right there at the vet's office, so if anything WERE to go wrong, they could tend to it right away...
I just don't know what to do, I am really torn here. Any advice is welcome and appreciated!
I say do it, check the vets in your area really well. Even if you have to drive outside of your area to get a good vet, do it. I work 1 1/2hrs from where I live, and some of the good vets are there, so I drive and use them. Not neutering could lead to cancer and unwanted behavior. A male can smell a female in heat over 1mile away and cry or scream wanting the get to her. If he gets cancer, you would have to neuter him anyway, so I would just do it now and lots of luck to you
The only thing I know is that Ace is a big no no for boxers. It could bring their blood pressure down to dangerous levels and some have died. Don't know if it is the same for bulldogs but it might be worth looking into.