is it to soon for a vet to say that a 15 week old golden pup has hip dysplasia? I read that sometimes they can react to their shots I just thought this was so young. no x-rays have been taken yet but they will be done with in the next week.
Unfortunately, no it's not too early to detect dysplasia in a dog, the signs and symptoms he is showing plus a technique called Penn Hip can detect the abnormality at 4 months. There is a surgery to correct this, in a young dog, that basically tightens the hip joint and prevents the arthritis that always comes after a dog has been dysplastic for a period of time, as well as the luxation of the hip. I hope you're right, and it is a reaction to a shot, but I'm assuming he has all the signs and symptoms, and the vet is going to x-ray and see what the hip looks like. Did you contact the breeder and ask if their dogs were OFA'D or had Penn Hip done? (the parents)
It's sad but true, dogs can show signs of hip dysplasia at such a young age. My husband said he saw a 4 month old german shepherd once when he was making a delivery that had CHD so bad it could barely walk.
Never trust a tall dwarf... he's lying about something.
Its not to early, but, get x-rays done, and put the dog on a large breed dog food like the P/D large breed to control the calcium. Some dogs do improve over a period of years. By 2 years you will have a better idea, and surgery is an option. Hip dysplasia is the hip joint not formed properly, surgery can build a new hip or cut off the ball (that fits in the socket). I'm sure you can guess which one is more expensive. The new hip joint will eliminate chronic limping and arthritis.Cutting off the ball, may cause the dog to limp slightly. What kind of breed is the dog?
When I look up into the sky, I think to myself, Wheres the ceiling?
Thanks all, I am waiting to hear back from the damns owner, I guess he will let me know when he gets more information. I have the stud dog that was used and Penn2 I did have all his health test done including OFA for hips and elbows and he came back clear. I just feel bad that one of the puppies he sired is having problems. I will let you all know what the x-rays show as soon as I hear. The damns owner did put in his contract that they can return the pup to him if a genetic problem is found. So we will wait and see what the vet says then go from there. I told my husband that I would take the puppy and if it needed surgery then I would get him what he needed. AND KEEP HIM (LOL Its my grandchild)Thanks Again for the information
It sounds like there were a few dogs in your stud's pedigree that were not tested, correct me if I'm wrong. That could well be the problem, and I hope I'm wrong. How many litters has he sired? Do you know yet if the dam and the generations before her were tested? I'm hoping for the reaction to a vaccine (not that I would wish it on the pup), but it would be a better outcome than dysplasia. Good luck, I'll be interested to see what the diagnosis is.