okay so I have a Great little femal pug....she is in great health and a good dog. She is currently 8 years old...about six years ago was when we first started to realize these growths on her leg..moderately growing.so she since then has had 2 or 3 surgerys to have 4 removed on one leg... Well it hase been 4 years since her last surgery and i just brought her back for one that has been growing for a while. there are actually 3 but there is one large ine surrounding her hip. So big that the doctors can not feel the hip bone inside. Although she walks, climbs stairs and jumps up for a cookie...she knows her limits but the doctors suggestion to us yeasterday was to amputate the leg. i was suprised to say the least. So we are getting another opinion..but i need to keep focuse and think what would be best for her...my kids love her and she is paret of our family!! help!!! Anyone have any advice !! I will listen!! thanks!
I would say definitely seek the opinion of an orthopedic surgeon. It seems like your vet is taking the simple way out, but that's the most he could do anyway. I wonder why he did'nt refer you to a specialist. On the other hand, I know it's a horrible thought, but there are many, many dogs who walk on three legs and are perfectly happy. The thing I would be worried about with your dog though is what happens if the good leg goes the same way. That's why I would try and seek out a surgery to reconstruct the hip, if necessary.
I wonder why he has decided on amputation? Are the lumps cancerous? Do they pose a potential life threatening affect if they spread? It seems to me that if this dog has had these for her whole life and she is 8, and in otherwise healthy condition, then I wouldn't want to see her leg unnecessarily amputated. I think your right to get a second opinion for sure. If the second vet recommends the same course of action, to relieve some of your stress know that dogs are super resilient. I have seen countless 3 legged pups in my day who don't look like they ever skipped a beat. Good luck to you. And keep updates as you go along.
thank you both for your feed back you really don't know how much it helps to talk to others. We have been waiting for the doctor to return our calls but nothing so far!! there are so many things the tmasses can rupture...he said eventually. or eventually attack her internal organs. so that is a concern..but with out knowing ...we are not sure of anything..they have not done x-rays or anything!!so we will have to get some questions answered!! He did say he wants us to see a specialist localy.So once the test results come back one tues. I guess that will be the next step..thank I will be in touch soon!!
we are taking her this morning to a different Vet!! just to see what they say all together!! so we are hopefull still..my husband is completly against the leg being removed..me to but I think that if everyone seems to think that is the way to go we need to think what is best for her! I am more the open minded person ....out of both of us!! Hey i deal with two kids all day and a dog!! But were not there yet! Will keep you posted.
Good News!!! the tumor is a fatty tumor...it is not the type that spead or attck the heart or brain or the organs. So We not have to see what we need to do to get it removed. Althought they did say it is weird that it has massed to this big. But we are Hopefull still..will be in touch!