a labrador got into my garden quite a few times while my bitch was in season and the chance is high that she is pregnant the vets want her to have abortion injection but i have heard these are not good for her would a c section be safe for her im so confused she is my baby and i want whats best for her
I dont know why you don't have her spayed, but she could be spayed now and just abort the pups. The problem with a c-section, is if you are not around she could die. I didn't know if you work or not. If you go to work, and she goes into labor, and she can not push the puppies out it can be deadly to her and the pups. If you are not a breeder, and she is not a top notch show dog, I would just spay her and abort the litter. It is the safest thing that should be done.
the reason she has not been spayed is cause our vet wouldnt spay her tilla fter her second season so she is booked in for january i will be ringing round other vets tom to see if they will spay her we had no intention of breeding her as she is 1 of the family so spaying isnt a prob i have heard so many different things i just want whats best for her thanks for your advice though
I would not take much time to think about this. When do you think she was bred? It's not realistic for her to even carry those pups; so your only choice is the lutylase injection, or the spay. Why are the vets recommending the shot over the spay? Has she been bred over a week?
I would find another vet. Yours sounds like an idiot. It is known nationwide that a dog can be altered between 4-6months. Unless she is extremly tiny (under 5lbs) I would have not worried about. Waiting for cycles just cause numerous problems. Any time the hormones have had time to enter the system, (ie: a heat) the chances of breast cancer are much greater. If I were you, I would look for a vet with a clue, becuase the one you chose, doesn't seem like he had one.
I personally wouldn't do the shot unless it was my last option. There are alot of risks with the shot, one is losing your girl. I have heard many times from my reproductive vet, that they have used it, and the dieing pups have caused a fatal infection. Do whatever you can to find a vet that will spay her asap. I wish you all the luck in the world
I work in the vet field and would agree with everyone else. If you have no intentions of breeding her then just have her spayed. Those injections to abort are very painful and I wouldnt reccomend it. Finding another vet sounds like a good idea as well because their is no reason why she couldnt have been spayed between 4-6 months of age.
I too feel spaying your JRT is your best option in this situation, and I also agree that your vet is an absolute idiot! While it is never a pleasant prospect to have to abort, have it done ASAP while any "puppies" are still basically a blob of cells. And if it were me, I really think I would want a different vet to do the surgery rather than the one who recommended you wait to have a routine spay until after her SECOND heat cycle...almost unbelievable thinking on his part in my opinion.
Please let us know what you decide to do and how things turn out for you and your girl. So many people seem to come to the forum and ask a question, and we never find out what they decided to do or how their situation turned out. I wish you the best.