Hi! I wasnt advised that my pup has hernia when I purchased her. When my vet saw her, he wanted me to return my puppy to the breeder because of her hernia. My pup now is 10weeks old, i got her in her 7th week. In 3weeks time we all love her so it is hard to return her. The vet told me that not all cases of hernia shrinks and disappear, and if this did not go away and grow big medical complications will occur. my vet is not sure if her hernia will disappear or not. the kind of hernia my shihtzu pup has is that her fat can be pushed in and out of the hernia. please help help. I really need more information about this especially from those who experience this with your own pup. please help. thanks alot. hope you'll reply soon.
Hernias, depending on the kind.. can be harmful or harmless. Shih Tzu's are especially prone to hernias. The only harmful hernia that I really know is when the blood supply is cut off to the area and it begins to die.. that's called a 'strangulated hernia' and that's cause for medical concern. Umbilical hernia is most common, and pretty harmless. Some go away on their own, and some don't. They can be medically fixed if they are big enough for concern. An inguinal hernia will repair itsself as a pup grows.
All in all, I wouldn't be too worried about the pup in general. However, it -can- be genetic.. so I wouldn't be breeding the dog. As far as the dog being a pet goes, I definitely wouldn't return her. In that time it it has had time to attach to you as you have her.
I really do not understand this?? If you really like the pup just get the hernia fixed. I was a vet tech and we fixed hernia all the time, usually when the pup was spayed or neutered. May be your vet can not do it? I would get a 2nd opinion. Unless this was to be a BREEDING/SHOW pup I do not understand why he would tell you to return it.
Hernias are very common and sometimes don't appear noticeable until the puppy is over 6wks of age. The breeder might not have known about it. But like the other posters said, usually they are not an issue. All puppies that are just pets should be spayed, so if it hasn't closed on its own, your vet can do it at that time. I would maybe get another vet as well. I do not not know of any vets that would suggest returning the dog just because of a hernia, unless it was posing a serious medical issue, which from your post, it doesn't sound like it.
I would get a second opinion before taking the pup back. Umbilical hernias are generally non threatening. Most vets are happy to fix them at the same time as a spay. This current vet sounds anti breeder and is likley to charge you $1000 too much for fixing it. Our local clinic fixes hernias for $37 so don't let this guy take you for a ride.
If it was me, I wouldn't worry. Umbilical hernia's happen alot, aren't always due to genetics, and not usually a big health issue. Most vets I know just wait until they are spayed and neutered, to repair if it is still repairable at that time. I wouldn't worry about an inguinial either. Which type of hernia is it? I would also definantly look into another vet.