About 2 months ago the tenants above us had a HUGE water leak. My husband and I woke up one Saturday morning and our dining room carpet was soaked, our bathroom floor had a lair of water and our computer (spare room) the edges of the carpet on the wall were wet.
They didn't do anything for us, even though I asked them to send a carpet cleaner guy. They eventually came and fixed the bathroom ceiling (where there was a hole and bits of drywall were literally melting off and falling into our tub).
What's worse is that we know that they have had this problem in the past because the spot they recently patched up, was so OBVIOUSLY patched up when we first moved in.
I'm just wondering how dangerous mold really is.
I wake up with allergies (never had them before until i moved here) where my eyelids and bags under my eyes are swollen. My nose is always stuffed up too. Maybe it's a coincidence though.
"You can bomb the world into pieces, but you can't bomb the world into peace."
My understanding is it's very dangerous! Where I live, houses are condemned b/c of it. Call the housing authority or whoever deal w/ this in your area. I would consider contacting a lawyer and I would definately move. I think an ignored water leak is definately ground for breaking a lease.
Mold can be deadly. I lived with it in my parents basement. It was amazing how much better I felt until my own basement flooded. Definatly call the housing authorities, and take as many pics that can of the damage. Keep a record of all costs you have to put out to repair the damage. It can all be used later in Court, which I would go. Get the carpet out of there, replace it. Mold can live and grow within it, even if cleaned. the 2 products that clean it really well are lime-a-way and bleach. Mix equal parts, but WEAR RESPERATORS. THE COMBO IS TOXIC. Make sure everything is as well ventilated at possible, get fans, open window, etc. It is amazing stuff. It works great, and will kill the mold. I wish you the best of luck
After the hurricanes we had an abundance of mold to deal with. Illusion has pretty well covered i t all, the only thing I'd add is that I used bleach and peroxide. NOT together. Sprayed with bleach (to kill off the mold) and allowed it to dry. Then followed with the peroxide (to inhibit regrowth by any lingering spores).
My friend lost all but one pup of her first, long awaited litter of Newf pups due to the toxicity of mold she wasn't not aware of. It had grown in the walls, again from the hurricanes.
I also agree that you have to get the rug and padding out of there ASAP. Living with cement floors until everything is cleaned and clear is not as bad as becoming ill from the "nasties" growing in that carpet and padding.
"Some days you're the dog; some days you're the hydrant". author unknown