my chihuahua had a c-section her last heat (it was a litter of 5 and all the pups were premature and died a couple days after the c-section. she didnt seem to have any problems during pregnancy its just i left her with a friend about 2 weeks before her due date and my friend thought she was ready to have them and took her to her vet. her temp was down and he decided to due a c-section. well the pups were obviously preemies and we tried to save them but they were just to early.) anyways shes seems to recovered fine from it except the obvious scar tissue you can feel on her belly and i defenitly did not want to breed her right away but my husband and kids accidently let them out together (more then once!!) and they tied 3 times within 2 days all while i was at work. (i only knew cause my 4 year old said they were stuck together...not knowing whats going on and thinking its funny) well ive been contimplating on taking to my vet and giving the "morning after shot" for dogs to make sure she doesnt take but ive been reading online and some people say not to breed the heat right after a c-section because of internal splitting of the uterus and others say its best to breed the heat right after a c-section because of surgical adhesions and difficulties with furthur litters if you dont. ive always had natural births with dogs and always waited at least one heat before breeding again but im not sure what is best to do in this case with her having an unneeded c-section. any advise or experiences id love to hear!! thanks so much!!!!!!!!
I would be more worried about that morning after shot then I would the breeding. I have heard some really nasty stuff about it.
When was her c-section? My boss has a small rare breed, that often requires a c-section just like the Chi's. Her bitches come in about every 8months, she does 2 breeding back to back, and then skip one. She spays the girls around 7-8yrs old. She has not had a problem with any pregnancy. good luck
I wouldn't worry too much from that aspect just more the normal issues and watch her calcium levels and all that closely. Those of us that have c-section breeds also do our occasional back to back (most I know will only do one per female) and I don't know anyone that's had a huge problem as a result (though our vet's are experienced c-section vet's and I'm not sure how that would factor in). As long as it's not continious you'll probably be fine.
she had her c-section on January 14 of this year. She usually comes into heat every 6 months almost like clockwork but its early this time...maybe cause of c-section or dying pups, no clue but its only been 5 months since her c-section and im worried. honestly i dont think she needed the c-section last time i personally think my friend has a wacky doctor who assumed she was due and thought like alot of people do, chihuahua...c-section so will she have to have another since she didnt really need one to begin with? my sister owns a border collie that accidently got bred to a pitbull and she got her vet to give it "the morning after" shot and she had no ill effects from it (got bred the next heat and had no problems but i know all breeds are differnat and havent heard how chihuahuas do with this shot but like i said i dont want to risk losing her! thanks so much everyone for the help!!!!
Have you consulted your vet? I would be concerned, not only it only having been 5 months since her last pregnancy, but also seeing it was also a c-section, and healing takes time. Healing from the outside is one thing, but that is alot of stress on her body having so recently had that c-section.
Seems the mis-mate shot may be too late for that (thinking it is 24 hours from the time of the mating for it to work) I do know there are side effects, but the odds are very small. She would have been best to take the chances on side effects than another pregnancy IMO.
will a vet do a spaying during a heat??? and if she is already bred? I have a female that had a c section her first delivery and had another litter the next heat and she gave birth naturally. She was a bigger dog of course (shar pei) but I don't think that would matter. I hope all goes well for your dog.
Yes, you can find a vet that will do a spay under both conditions. Spaying during a heat can be danerous do to the fact of blood loss. A spay after an unwanted breeding, I personally think is better then the unwanted puppies, or death of the bitch.
i agree spaying is the best choice, my husband on the other hand doesnt want to spay her but since he was unresponsible for letting them get together i told him hes to blame...lol! honestly thoguh shes like a kid to me and ill die if something happens to her. my vet said she can have a sefe spay as long as i wait for her heat cycle to be over and the pups arent even close to being pups at that point so im not "murdering" them. if she were farther along and i didnt know before hand that she got bred then itd be hard for me to do it but her scars are just soooo nasty im afraid that a pregnancy would hurt her, esp considering her 1st litter was 5 pups...she prob just has big litters and i dont hink the way shes healing her body could take it without killing her and the pups in the long run. thanks for all the help every1!!!!!!
"my husband and kids accidently let them out together (more then once!!) and they tied 3 times within 2 days all while i was at work. (i only knew cause my 4 year old said they were stuck together...not knowing whats going on and thinking its funny)"
Sounds like it wasn't an accident, if your husband was involved and let it "accidently" happen 3 times in 2 days. He needs some lessons in responsibility.
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about the things that matter.
I'm sorry..I may be new to this forum,but there is no accidental breeding THREE TIMES! I too,raise chihuahuas,but every chi I own that has EVER needed a c-section gets spayed as soon as possible so that I do NOT risk losing her in the future.I know nothing of this morning after shot because I am a RESPONSIBLE breeder.If you really love this dog,you need to get her fixed.She should be considered your pet FIRST and foremost!
i agree with illusionminis. yeah the litter will be aborted but its better then risking her life. the vet wanted to wait til her heat is completely over but before the pups can develop. like i said before it doesnt really matter at his point that he let thme breed...accident or not... while i was gone. shes getting spayed. if certain people would read the above comments ive made before writing theyd know shes not going to be breeding again. i was all freeked out at first thats why i asked the question but after getting peoples opinions on here (2 i really appreciated!!) and after talking to MY vet ive decided its justs not worth risking. my vet looked her over and said shell recover from the surgery fine so thats #1 important to me now and always.
First, why spay the girl until you know she is pregnant? I breed dogs, and just because they tie three times does not mean that they are actually bred. An ultrasound may save her uterus to be bred later on. Also if she is just carrying maybe 2-3 puppies, there may be no reason to abort the puppies.
I am just not a fan, unless the mother's life is truly in danger. If you said she was for sure bred to a 20 pound dog, then yes, do what you need to do, but just as precautionary with out reason.... not so much.
Home of UKC Champions NV My Sassy Flasher and CR Silhouette Image AKC/UKC Champion Moon Vally Can't Fool Me
hey everyone. i havent been on here to much since i posted this question but i did get her spayed in july. she,of course, came through it great. as for alicat1's comment, due to the fact she had a messy c-section to begin with i thought it would be best to go ahead and have her spayed and after her spay when i went to get her my NEW vet told me that yes the previous vet that gave her the c-section butchered her and getting her spayed was the best thing because he honestly thought shed have a hard time carrying pups and she ran a high chance of the puppies attaching themselves to her c-section scar inside and she ran a good chance of dyeing if she was bred again (in a nut shell. he used alot of bigger words and explained it better but that was almost a year ago so i cant remember the correct term.) also i really had no plans of breeding her again and since i dont want to breed her, why wait to see if she was pregnant...even if she wouldnt of been pregnant then id have to watch her every 5 months when she came into heat, now her and my male are happy together 24/7 and i can rest asure she is ok everyday. thanks for everyones help and advise!! signed...my very happy and healthy chihuahua