I have a 13 year old jack russell cross staff bull terrier. She started with ill health a few months ago. She was vomiting bile violently on monday so rushed her to the vets who gave her anti nausea injection. Told to give her an antacid 3 times a day which has stopped the vomiting. Rushed her back in this morning as she has'nt eaten in 4 days, very lerthargic, has a rattle when she breathes out and has started coughing. She is also a very yappy dog, even if she feels ill she can always bark!! She has'nt made a noise in 4 days!!! The vet told us that her heart was'nt too bad, she had fluid in her lungs and to feed her naughty foods! The vet said if she has'nt eaten properly by monday to take her back. She said i had to make her as comfortable as possible. I have managed to get her to eat a small can of tuna and 3 chocolate biscuits. How long am i looking at my dog being this ill? When will i know it's time to let her go?
Twinkle, did your vet do a chest film? The first thing that comes to mind based on the description is the heart. It sounds like your describing congestive heart failure. I am sooooooo sorry. Only you and your friend can know when it's the right time and have confidence that you'll make the right decision because you will. There may be a way to make things more comfortable for awhile though so keep talking to your vet. *HUG*
Thanks for replying. The vet want's to see her on monday as she is not eating properly. If we can't get her to eat it look's like we may have to let her go..... The vet said that her heart does'nt seem too bad. Could that still indicate heart failure?
I guess it depends on how they came to that conclusion? Was it sound or x-ray? It would have to be an x-ray. It could be something else. How are things going? Have you tried A/D (can be watered down as well) and maybe some nutri-stat or Rebound? Most dog's don't eat if there's fluid in the lungs. Do they have any thoughts on what the cause might be if they think it's probably not the heart? Any treatment besides sending you home? What did they do? X-ray's or blood test or just exam? Antibiotics? I'm not sure if there's just some information missing or if maybe you should see what another clinic might have to say or sometimes things aren't done due to limited funds. Hope she's feeling a little better. *hugs*
I never heard of a chocolate Dog Biscuit, Chocolate poisons dogs. I hope she gets well soon, definitely make sure she's not eating anything in the yard that could make her sick. Also, watch out for what kids or friends feed your dog. Are you in a moldy area?? Mold can cause lung problems...
Have 2 JRT's, love dogs, the country and fresh air.
I am so sorry to hear about your baby. I, on the other hand, do not think it is congestive heart failure. That can be clearly heard by the vet. Did they do an abdominal xray...I wonder if she may have a mass in her stomach. As for when to let go...its when the quality of life is gone. If she is very lethargic, not eating, coughing...and just generally not enjoying her days...it may be time to help her cross the Rainbow Bridge. You have to hold on to the good times and remember, she has had 13 great years. Just spoil her as much as you can in these final days. My heart goes out to you.
twinkle- is it possible your dog could have gotten into a poison? We recently had a scare with our Aussie- thought she got into rat poison- so I read quite a few sites on the symptoms. Many of what you are listing match- just a thought if they can't figure out what's going on. Has the vet run a blood panel?
I am so sorry for what you are going through. I hope there is something that can be done to help.
Indifference turns clarity into denial. ~Quan Tracy Cherry
We had to take her back to the vet's yesterday, and they have taken blood to test for a full spectrum of things. They don't have any ideas what it could be! She has eaten a little bit of food the past couple of days, so that's a good sign. She's on antibiotics for the fluid, but that's not making any difference..... She's soo thin it's awful. I have a feeling it could be poisoning of some sort, just haven'nt a clue what from!!!! Won't get the results until friday, just hoping we can find out what's wrong!!! Two different vet's think it's different thing's, so it's all very confusing! Will post on friday once we have result's. Thank you to all who have posted.