so i got this 3 year old female chihuahua around christmas time because a coworker of mine couldnt keep her. the person who i got her from said she bred with her male chihuahua around december 4th(first day of breeding) and she bred a few times but she didnt know if she took or not. due to the fact she bred more then once im pretty sure she probably did,and she had 1 litter by c-section(pups didnt survive more then a couple days...premature i heard) im pretty sure shes pregnant and i have money saved just incase shell need another csection cause i know they can be expensive, esp if i have to take her to an emergency vet and i was wondering if anyone can tell me signs if shes pregnant. her belly, behind her hips is bigger then when i first got her especially when she stands on her 2 back legs (not huge though, just a little rounder), her teats are bigger...not sure if thats cause of a previous litter though... she sleeps alot. her appetite seems the same though. i looked on a website that says shed be around 5 weeks pregnant but im not 100% sure if she is or not. (i plan to take her to vet for xrays close to when i think she would be due to make sure pups arent to big and discuss if vet thinks i should go ahead and schedule a c-section but i dont want to also have an ultrasound done because im a single mom with 3 kids and the xray and possible c-section is gonna be expensive as it is. i was willing to take the dog because the owner wasnt able to give her the care she needs if she is pregnant and my kids loved her so it worked out good, especially if she ends up not being pregnant :)) thanks for any help. ill keep everyone updated
I went through something sorda similar to this(only differance is she was my dog from the start...accidentally bred) I went with the choice to have her litter aborted and spayed her. Some people didnt agree with it but it was a choice i dont regret. I think it is great that you took the time and now money out to help a dog that might not of got the care it needed from its previous owners but because you are a single mother, I think you should at least talk to your vet about the idea i did. If you decide not to, thats your choice, but have her spayed afterwards. Its ashame that her previous owners are breeding dogs but dont have the money to give her the care a pregnant dog needs. I sincerely hope she was their only female! As far as your question goes, i was in the same situation,wasnt sure if she was actually pregnant but my bitch had the same signs and it turned out she was bred so Id have to say she probably is bred. Good luck and God Bless
Ultrasound is your only way to tell if she is pregnant at this point. Xrays do not show puppies until approx the last week of a pregnancy. By then, you likely will already be able to tell if she is pregnant or not. At that point, the xray helps to determine size and number of pups.
I would not go as far as to schedule a c-section on the litter. She may very well be able to naturally whelp. The moms do a better job nursing IMO when there was no c-section. I would however, consult your vet now about his office hours, if he will do an after hours spay if needed, etc. Being prepared ahead of time on who to call is a huge help once the time arrives and you are already stressing and worrying.
I think you are on the right track, and it is possible she will have pups fine, depending on the number.
The biggest thing I have found, is the fact she will really start looking for a place to have her pups. She will start nesting, and usually pick a corner away from everything or under the bed. make sure you have a special spot for her to go. If you have a friend who can build you a small whelping box, or if you still have an old baby playpin, they work great.
You know the first day she was bred, so count 63 days. About a week before her first due date, have the x-ray. about 5days before her first due date take her temp. in the morning. If it is below 99, take it again a few hours later. If it goes back up you are fine. If the temp does not go back up, take it a again in the evening. If it stay below 99 or continues to get lower, she will have the pups in 24hrs. You may even be able to feel very slight contractions, no big deal. In my opinion, no more then 1hr of really hard pushing. after an hour, contact the vet and go. some peoples idea differs, so use your judgement.
Lastly the delivery. Be there for her. As she is delivering do not let her get to the sack. It is possible for her to break the sack, and the pup go back in and then die. Wait until the pup is completely out, then break the sack. I prefer to do the cord my self, I just clamp hemostates on the cord and cut. In a few mins I take the hemos off and no blood. You can let her have the pup and lick it clean. Again this is what I do.
Good luck, and let us know how it turns out. If she does need a c-section, you can also have her spayed then. It saves you money later.