so i stopped by the vet today to see if i could schedule an xray to see how many pups to expect(that way i know when shes done if she ends up being able to whelp naturally) and also to make sure her pelvis is big enough to fit the pups. well when i went in they said i should wait until after her pups are born to see if there are anymore in there instead of before she goes into labor. i thought it was a little weird to wait because eather way they want me to get an xray so doesnt it make more sence to get it now instead of later? i mean do i really want to wait until the next day , at the soonest, to take her to the vet after i think shes done giving birth or take her now and know when she might be done or to know hey shes only had 2 pups or whatever and i know she has more so its an emergency trip to the vet. it just seemed weird to me and ive had a bad experience with a few vets(this not being one of them) so should i get her xrays now or wait like they suggest? her pups are due around february 6th... give or take. thanks
I always have an x-ray done before my dogs whelp. I highly reccommend them. As far as seeing if pups will fit, it is not alway a guarantee. An x-ray can play funny tricks on you. Also just becuase the pups look like they would fit at the time, the longer they stay in the more they grow. So they may not fit at the time of delivery.
The choice is really up to you. The best thing about x-rays, is puppy count. It will give you an approximate number.
her before pregnancy weight was 4 and 1/2 pounds. we weighed her when we got her and she was just bred a few weeks before we got her so id say she is normally a 4 pound to 4 and 1/2 pound range. i think im going to have them done just so i know when she is done...dont want one to be hiding out in there and me not know, this way i know when shes done or in trouble. i just thought it really weird a vet would say wait til after pups are born
Keep in mind too, that xrays can be inaccurate to count puppies. Although an experienced vet would know the best angles and be able to give the correct number or very close! Doesnt sound like this is the vet i would use. Makes more sense to xray now and if any concerns arise, such as not as many pups as expected, fever post-partum, etc the vet would give whats referred to as a 'clean out' shot to expel any material or puppies left inside.