I have been breeding Labrador Retrievers for over twelve years and I recently had a new experience. One of my females went into labor and delivered 5 puppies in a period of 4 hours. She began to push once again but the labor slowed to nothing. She remained restless but not in any severe distress. I thought the labor would start again but it never did. I called the Vet, took her in. The Vet said it was too late for Oxytocin. They xrayed her, found the remaining pup and gave her a C-section. Pup was dead
I asked the Vet if I could have a prescription for Oxytocin so that if this should happen again I would be able to intervene, stimulate the labor and perhaps save the pup. The Vet refused, considering the drug too dangerous.
We live over an hour from an emergency Vet clinic. This happened in the middle of a very cold night and I had to consider her new puppies. My question is does anyone know of a homeopathic product that could naturally keep the labor going safely. I worry now about this happening again. Thank you for any help JJ
Getting down on calcum will cause the labor to stop. I would give extra calcum for a week before she is due. I get ocsetosin from my vet after the pups are welped to help clean out the horns. It is a very powerful drug that if givin wrong can do a lot of damage. On another tread on here I heared of a calcum shot the vet can give. The person that was talking about it said that she gives it to them the day before they are due. That's all I got hope it helps!
your vet should have at least tried to give her the shot and wait 30 min before putting her through an expansive and potentially life threatening surgery. at that stage, the benefits would have far outweighed the risk
you can effectively give an Oxytocin shot for a day or two after labor. it will still clean her out. before i had my own supply, my vet would give them a shot the morning after the delivery, often over 12 hours after i thought the delivery was long over and done with. on more then few occasions, few min after the shot they would have another live pup or two on the way back home.
I suggest you find yourself another vet that would give you a prescription. I found a large animal vet that did. well actually he sold it to me for 10X its cost, but it probably saved me thousands in pups and med bills it would have cost me had i lost a pup waiting for the vet office to open. those large animal vets usually only practice on horses and other livestock, and may not even have an office, but they are more likely to be cooperative and accommodating then those small animals vets who would much rather take advantage of their positions and your desperation and milk you for every cent they can. that vet also sold me a bunch of other goodies that no one else was willing to. if you are in a rural area, your odds of finding one are pretty good.
The essence of hypocrisy is the tendency to make an exception of oneself.
I agree, I don't like the way the vet handled this situation. It really wouldnt have hurt to give oxytocin at that point and at least try to avoid EXPENSIVE surgery(hint hint $$$). Calcium wouldnt have hurt either. I know vets are sometimes cautious but I really don't like it when they treat you like you were born yesterday. Oxy, used properly, is perfectly safe. I keep both Oxy and Calcium injections on hand. They have both helped me avoid situations that might have otherwise required c-sections but got that extra umph from the drugs to complete the process.