My 2 year old female English setter (adopted 8 months ago) has a chronic skin problem. We've had 4 visits to the vet/3 different vets. They say she has no parasites, we tried antibiotics with a topical cream, then the ssame antibiotics and a type of topical foam and the problem still persists, and now it's worse. I also tried changing the diet, she was on a lamb and rice, and fish and rice dog food, and no change. then I tried a natural diet with rica and/or pasta with vegetables and meat or chicken. No change. My latest atempt is homeopathic therapy - 'sulfer' granuals - but still no change.
Her skin is very pink and in places there are small red bumps (no pus, there is a large dry ulcer near her neck which has never fully healed and that she scratches, and she often bites near her feet. She scratches everywhere and also on her face. Her coat is thin and course (not sure if this is bacause she may be a ES cross) and she like to be warm and near the heater. She hasn't been spayed yet.
Anyone have any ideas???? I'm at a loss here! thanks!!!!
First thing I would do is spay her as it may be a hormonal problem. While she is at the vets for her spaying, I would have them draw blood and send it out for allergy testing. You can continue to keep trying to switch foods but it may be fruitless since you don't know if it is indeed an allergy to foods, and it may not be the protein source she is allergic to. It may be the rice, or something else that iscommon to all the foods you keep switching too. Also, when switching foods, you need to give each food at least 6-8 weeks to see if it really is going to make a difference. Think of it like this ... take a bunch of books and stack them on top of each other. Think of each of the books as a skin layer. The food starts working on the book at the bottom of the stack. As each top layer of skin dies and is replaced another book moves up towards the top. It takes awhile and by the time you have spent all this time and money on all these different types of food, you would have spent more than you would have if you just had the blood test done and know what you are dealing with. Plus it is a lot quicker that your dog will get some relief if it is indeed a food allergy.