I have a 4 year old cocker spaniel and for the past month he has been kind of dry-heaving and throwing up 4-5 times a week. We've taken him to the vet and they say hes fine and will get better, and they gave us some antibiotics. After he took them he is still the same. I have no idea whats wrong with my dog. Can someone please, please tell me what to do???
I am not a vet, and can only guess from the bit of information you gave. My suggestion would be to get a second opinion. Numerous times, my vet has been wrong about something and your persistence could save a dog's life. That being said, I am clueless.
We had horses that dry heaved a lot. Horses cannot vomit, but they heaved b/c of a lot of dust or bad allergies. Is your dog in a dusty area? Does this behavior occur at certain times of the year only?
Otherwise, you can get a stomach xray or ultrasound, to see if there is something in there that cannot be digested and is irritating the stomach and creating more acid. Aluminum foil can do this if he got in to some kitchen food. I would seriously take him to another vet, or to a partner in your vets practice and get a second opinion.
how many times a day do you feed your dog? Some dogs dry-heave and/or vomit when their stomachs are too empty. Maybe try giving your dog more meals thoughout the day to keep him from having an empty stomach.
Has anything changed in this time period such as new flea med,new food ,enviornment ie:bedding,household bug spray,cleaner, air freshner,new plant or toy? Dose your dog chew on treated wood? Perhaps contaminated dog food,pesticide/rat poison,lawn spray or cleaner comes to mind? Could your dog be exposed to antifreeze from a hot radiator overflow? Has your dog lost weight? If your dog was fine and never had any of these problems before I also think that after a month that a second opinion is needed.
You may want to try a diet change such as boiled chicken and rice is often used for a sensitive stomach.
Actually, we give him milk everyday and i stopped giving it to him, and it stopped for a day but just now he spit up a big chunk of mucus. and he breathes in and out of his nose (like a human w/a stuffy nose) for like 20 secs then stops. Can anyone tell me what that is?
How long has he been vomiting? excessive vomiting can lead to very serious cases of dehydration. I have over 10 yrs of vet experience and i would urge you to look for a cause! is he eating? drinking? are you missing anything? toys? socks? answers to these questions may save his life
He eats,drinks he doesn't eat socks and stuff. The nose thing is just, breathing through the nose really fast as if it's stuffed and he wants to get it out. He doesn't vomit. We thought he vomited but actually what he is now coughing up is this foamy spit-like mucus. Since we stopped giving him milk he's doing better. The thing is he has been drinking milk daily since he was 6 months (hes like a cat!) and I don't get why all of a sudden he can't drink it because the mucus gets in his throat. And I think he's sad, he misses his milk and I don't know what to do. :(
Some dogs cannot tolerate milk because they do not produce an enzyme called lactase. Lactase helps with the digestion of lactose, which is found in milk. After weaning, the level of lactase activity falls to about 10 per cent of its peak activity. In some animals, diarrhea will occur if more lactose (i.e. milk) is consumed than the pet can digest. This is called "lactose intolerance".
No more milk. Try a soft diet for a few days that is easy on the stomach.
Has your dog been vaccinated for kennel cough/ bordetella? Do you take your dog to a groomer or dog park or boarding kennel? If he is coughing and not vomiting, it could be kennel cough. I think a trip to the vet is in order.