We had a litter of German Shepherd puppies 9 weeks ago today. I have dewormed all of them and usually waited to give the first shots when the new owner of a puppy was on sight just so they can be 100% sure that their pup has had it's first shots. However, I believe that one of our pups has the parvovirus. I gave him a shot yesterday when I saw he wasn't acting right. He has the parvo symptoms and does not want to eat. Does anybody know what I can do to help besides spending $1000.- at the vets and not even have a guarantee that they are able to do anything.There are two more pups left that still need a home and they are not showing any symptoms of parvo could they still already be infected and is it too late to give them shots?
You should have NEVER vaccinated the puppy when you knew he was sick. Now all you have done is weaken his immune system more and given him less of a chance to be able to fight this disease. IF that is indeed what he has. Since all the puppies have been together, IF the 1st puppy has parvo, they can all get it, or already have it and just haven't shown symptoms yet, and vaccinating them now will also increase their chances of coming down with it.
Some people have had success treating Parvo with a product called Parvaid
I am not the type of person who usually keeps their thoughts or opinions to themselves though I do try to be nice when expressing them. However,in this case I simply cannot. You are an idiot. You have no business having puppies nor are you responsible enough to administer vaccines. You obviously have no clue about how vaccines work and when they should/or should not be administered. You are IMO endangering the welfare of the dogs and puppies in your care and that sickens me to no end. I have no confidence that you have diagnosed these puppies correctly or that they will survive. I pray they do and wind up in a home with people who have a clue. these are living breathing creatures, not inanimate objects to experiment with. If you have no money to take them to the vet for something as simple as vaccines, or if something serious should happen to them such as contracting Parvo, you should not be allowing them to be born.
I have dewormed all of them and usually waited to give the first shots when the new owner of a puppy was on sight just so they can be 100% sure that their pup has had it's first shots.
Does this mean that if you do not have an owner lined up for a pup for 4 months, then the pup never gets vaccinated?
I got plenty of assurance from my breeder that my pups got their shots (and at the correct time), because she kept written records. If I see a vaccine number written down, then I know the shot was administered. I don't have to see the needle go in. As a buyer, I am much more comfortable with written records that I can carry to the vet.
Parvo has an incubation period of around 10 days before symptoms shows up. If the pup does indeed have parvo, then odds are they all do, including those you already sold. I sure hope you saved your money, because you are about to get a bunch of angry calls from the people who bought the pups from you demanding their money back.
Your odds are not with you if you attempt to treat him on your own. the pup needs the proper medications and treatments that are only available to vets, but good luck.
The essence of hypocrisy is the tendency to make an exception of oneself.