My mastiff puppy has a large hernia. He had surgery 10 days ago and it is back. My vet says nothing else can me done and he should be put down. Has anyone ever heard of a hernia that is not treatable? I think he messed up or it did not heal correctly. It is not a minor one but the size of a quarter! He is only 3months old.
The breeder says it is very common but I don't think he understands how big it is is now we have to have another surgery. I have to find another vet too. Anyone had this problem? I don't want to send the puppy back but I've already spent 2000. On him. what does everyone think. Otherwise he is very healthy.
Your vet thinks the pup should be put down because of an umbilical hernia? That's ridiculous! The majority of umbilical hernias are not even fixed. In fact, in the breed I own (Basenji), there are more dogs with them than without them, and they are generally not removed.
I'd seek another opinion. $2000 is outrageous for an umbilical hernia removal.
Are you sure it isn't an inguinal hernia? Now that's a whole 'nother discussion...
Oh my goodness! I hope the $2000.00 that you've spent on this puppy isn't all because of an umbilical hernia. Our vet can fix one for about $60.00, I can't imagine that you would spend $2000.00 for that. I would definatly seek a different opinion from a different vet. I have never heard of an umbilical hernia not being treatable. If you live close by the breeder you got your puppy from, ask them what vet they use and go to that one. Regardless, seek out another opinion.
I cannot imagine how bad an umbilical hernia could be where it would be in the best interest of the puppy to be put down. That doesn't compute with me at all !!. I have never seen a hernia, inguinal or umbilical, that couldn't be repaired. But that's not to say there isn't a first time for everything.
Someone always has to graduate at the bottom of their class and it seems as if your vet was the one who did in his class. Please seek out a second opinion. Euthanasia is final. There is no coming back from it. Once that decision is made and the deed is done, it's done. Please, Please, Please, seek out another opinion before making such a decision with your puppy.