I am joining blogs and dog forums to get some advice quickly! I have a 9.5 year old black female Lab who was diagnosed with osteosarcome in her right front leg this weekend. It's a very aggressive and painful cancer prevalent in older large breed dogs. I have been given 2 options...amputation of the leg and chemo to aleviate the pain...there is no cure. Or I can try to manage her pain with medications for about a month then will have to put her down. Amputation will give me about 6-8 months but is very expensive, and this will cause some financial difficulties...but I love my dog with all my heart.
Has anyone on this site ever had to deal with this medical issue?
My boss had to go through that with her standard poodle. She opted to keep the dog as comfortable as possible, and then let her go when the pain was to great. She was so happy she decied on that instead of the amputation, and other things. When it is the fast moving cancer, I personally don't see the point in putting the dog through all of that for a few more months. Chemo is rough on the dog, I don't care what the vets want you to believe.
So My opinion is allow the dog to be comfortable and in your life for the next few months, and let her go when she is ready. You will be glad you did, and she will be much more comfortable.
It is a tough call. I have seen dogs go a year on pain meds and a year+ with amputation. I am not sure what I would do in your situation as those year time frames are typically not the norm. I suppose I would want to know if it had spread to other parts of her body before I made any decision. If it has already metastisized then I would opt for the pain management instead of amputation. The DJ of the radio station I listen to has a golden that had bone cancer. He opted for the amputation and his dog is still alive and its been over a year already.