Please HELP! Mugsy, My 5 and a half year old doxie, Just had back surgery on July 6, 2010. He herniated t12-t13 on the 5th of July. He was paralyzed as soon as it happened, and since the surgery hasn't walked. Although i have seen him wag his tail a few times, and he is going to the bathroom by himself with no problem. Does anyone have any tips for me? Has anyone had a doxie that needed surgery? Is he progressing normal? He goes to the doctor tomorrow to get his stitches out and the doctor has told me if he wasn't walking at this point to try acupuncture in the same facility as the surgery, has anyone tried acupuncture? Is it worth the money? Any tips or advice anyone has will be great!!!
Our doxie had back sugery in Aug. 2010-Very expensive, as you well know and after a while you get angry with the Vets with what they make and you still have a sick doxie. Check with Linda Stowe. Google her and she should be able to give you some answers/ides. Good luck to us both-Marilyn
Our 9 year old mini dachsund, Tucker, required back surgery 2 weeks ago. One disc and 5/6 fenestrations. Four days post op Tucker ran a fever of 104 and went back into hospital for better pain control. We thought that it had happened because I'd let him walk a little too much. Fever was brought under control and we brought him home - he was kept calm and mostly in a cage for the past week...we had him on a steady diet of prednisone, tramadol, methocarbamol and clavamox [blood tests did not show an infection but it was preventative]. We only allowed him to walk on a leash for a few minutes each day so that he could sniff the grass and pee...he seemed to be on the mend. Then 2 days ago he began to show signs of fever or anxiety [panting, not being able to get comfortable etc]. We increased the tramadol and methocarbamol thinking that pain might be contributing to the fever. Finally, we rushed him into the animal hospital last night. They decided to watch him to see if it would go down without IV pain meds but his fever increased to 105. Now they are running tests for Valley fever and tick fever [we live in Arizona]. They are also going to do chest xrays. The costs keep climbing and our dog is getting sicker with no explanation. Does anyone have any experience with post-op fevers 2 weeks out of surgery? Thank you.