Hello everyone. About 4 weeks ago I took in a dog from Animal Control. She was VERY skinny, her teats were/are hanging down as she obviously had pups before and she is afraid of everyone and everything. Anyway, after having her for two days I noticed she sometimes has a snotty clear discharge coming from her vulva (which is enlarged). I then checked her teats and they do have clear liquid when they are squeezed. I took her to the vet to see if they could palpate puppies and he could not. He told me to wait two weeks and try again. I started taking her temp three times a day. It started out at 102.5 and gradually started dropping. This past week she her temp was running between 100.4 and 98.9. She started nesting a few days ago. She ripped up a mattress and boxspring, pulled a door off of a cabinet and laid in the cabinet. She also tore the back off of the cabinet so I made her get out because if she had pups in there they could fall out the back. I tied the cabinet shut so she couldn't get in and she went NUTS, digging, scratching, destroying everything she could find. Finally I opened the cabinet and let her lay in it. She was as quiet as a mouse and has not destroyed anything else. So, today I took her to the vet for an x-ray. I did not see the xray but the vet told me she could not see any puppies only stool in the colon. So, my question is can the xray miss the pups? She has every single symptom of pregnancy, her nipples are getting darker and her belly has even started shedding this past week. I asked the vet if this could be a false pregnancy and he said no. Anyone ever experience anything like this? Should I stop treating her as if she is pregnant? By the way, in the four weeks I have had her she has gained 25 pounds! When she lays down lumps pop out from under her ribs, which we thought were puppies. The vet said the puppies would not be up by her rib cage. I don't know what we are feeling but whatever they are they sometimes move. Any suggestions?
Yes, it can be a false pregnancy. I am not sure why the vet would tell you ut isnt possible. A dog can have all the symptoms of pregnancy....weight gain, enlarged teets, milk production, nesting, etc and never have even been bred. So yes, it is possible.
BUT in false pregnancies you cannot palpate actual puppies, or the feeling of puppies as nothing is actually there.
Xrays are a sure fire way only IF she is within her last 7-10 days of the pregnancy. Any earlier and the xray would miss the puppies. The only definte way to tell is an ultrasound. OR wait it out. Though, if she is nesting that hard at this point, I would think she would be giving birth in the next day. And if at this stage the xray was negative, then I would venture a guess that it is a false pregnancy.
Good luck and keep us posted!
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain.
I hae a greatdane that had a false pregnacy.She gained weight ,enlarged nipples and started nesting.I knew she wasnt bred so from the start I knew what it was.when she figured due date was come and gone and no puppies she picked her own to mother.I have heard of them picking stuffed animals toys and such but no she had to pick my daughters two young boys 1 and 2 1/2 who were living with me at the time.she would lick them curl around them where ever they were sleep with them. became very protective of them and She still is more than a year later.we had to lock her in her kennel if we took them any where so she didnt destory the house.esp the door trying to get out.And the boys both still love to give her hugs and freq will fall asleep curled up with her.made for a very good bonding for both her with kids and them with dogs.
At this point with the scenario you describe, I think it sounds like vet #1 is wrong. I'm not sure exactly what he's wrong about: either she IS having a false pregnancy or she will have puppies in the next day or so. If it were me, I would take the dog to another vet and describe exactly what you have outlined here. It is entirely possible that puppies were missed on the xray. I know this because diagnostic imaging is my field. Vet techs are not the best xray techs and it is too easy to take a film too dark and black out the puppy skeleton(s). So much easier when there is only 1 or 2 small pups. If she is having a false pregnancy, perhaps the vet could offer something to help her.
Thank you all for responding. I am taking her to a different vet. I'm just waiting for her urine test results to come back this afternoon so I can pick up those results and the xray film and take them to the new vet. This morning she completely destroyed what was left of the mattress, she ripped the curtains down and she chewed up the baby pool I set up for her. I really have not wanted to crate her just in case she does have pups, I would be afraid they would get stuck between the bars or get crushed under the crate tray. But I guess I don't have much choice now.
So, I took Ruby to a different vet to see if she has pups. She gained 4.5 pounds in the six days since she last went to the vet and she really hasn't been eating much. The vet could not palpate puppies but thought she looked pregnant. She said to wait another 20 days and get another xray. She also said not to spay her or give her any meds before getting another xray. So, after 3 different vets checking her we still do now know if she is pregnant.
Good grief...these vets are morons. Yes...pups can be up hiding in the rib area. A GOOD vet knows how to x ray a bitch to find these pups, but a bitch must be at least 48 days along or they can't be seen on the xrays because the bones aren't dense enough to show on an xray Sounds like a big money grab here. My Dobe had a falsely pregnancy and she took all the latex toys into her whelping box and circled herself around them. This went on for a week and I took the babies away.. sounds to me like a false.
I have a female & a male Shih Tzu. My Female went into her heat in July. I had to leave for a week so My husband kept them but they were together through her whole heat. So she is growing & certainly acting & looking preg. so we have been back & forth to the vet. about 10 days ago vet did a xray & he did not see any pups & informed me that she was in a false preg. He gave me Ovaban for 7 days to get her out of the false preg. well she continues to grow & grow. she would be due anyday. I did take her back yesterday with my concern that she is still growing & still very much looking & acting preg. He just felt her bell which is hard as a rock. & still believes this is a false preg. but did not so another xray & the first xray was just one view so I am just concerned now that something was missed & then taking the meds for a week could harm her pups if there are any. Me & my Husband both felt movement in her belly today that I have not felt before. I was prepared for pups so either way I am prepared but because she had those meds her teats are kinda drying up so if she should actually have pups I don't know if she will produce milk.?? I was reading different stories & experiences about missing pups etc. when I took her 10 days ago for her xray he felt her first & said he may feel one? then xray was clear & he said let me check her again so to me that kinda shows doubt. I would have been happy to avoid the meds & come back for a recheck in another week or so juts to make sure... If there is ANY doubt well why not wait on giving those meds in the event there could be even just one pup as she was exposed to my male her whole heat.He is borderline mature at the time, He had his nuggies drop prob a month before her heat started so I wasn't sure that they would even breed/mate & I did not witness the actual mating.. I did see him trying to mount her many times thru her cycle. So I am honestly at a loss. I hate to think my Vet is wrong & that he would risk my dog & potential pups by giving her hormones to stop the false preg which it hasn't stopped except for maybe drying up her teats/milk??? She would be due anyday if she is REALLY preg with pups. Vet wants to see her back in 2 weeks. So we are just waiting it out at this point... I don't want any surprises... she is under my feet & restless. The other day she did a lot of panting but it seemed to stop by the next day. I just hate to think she may go as far as a false labor for nothing =[