Hello everyone! Please help me, I really don't know what to do!! I have a 4 month old puppy. Last Sunday night, I went out to throw his poop outside and when I got back (less than 30secs after)I saw him sitting in the kitchen floor swallowing something. I went over and pry open his mouth to see what it was. He swallowed it already but I saw some blue rice hanging from his beard. I checked what it was and discovered that he ate some Racumin ready-bait. Apparently, my housemate left some rat poison that I didn't know about and my pup got to it. I tried inducing him to vomit but he won't so I gave him some sugar and rushed him to the vet. (he was in the vet 30mins after the incident) They also tried to make him vomit (but did not) and gave him some vitamin K. They asked me to leave him there for observation. I visited him daily for the next two days and he was acting fine (eating well, drinking, poop, pee, play). He's acting as if nothing happened. The vet called me and said I can take him home Wednesday night. So I went there and when he was given to me, I noticed that he was making some gagging noise (and i think is having a hard time breathing). His eyelids were swollen and red, and his ears too. I asked his vet and she said he was having an allergic reaction to Vitamin K. I don't think she knows of this allergic reaction prior to me asking why he's red and swollen. They gave him some antihistamine and asked me to give him the medicine for the next three days. took him home, he's as energetic and bouncy as always. Eating, drinking, and sleeping well. The vet asked me to stop giving him vitamin K unless he becomes lethargic or suddenly week. There are still some redness in his eyelids and snout. It disappears after drinking the medicine but would start appearing again after 11 hours. There are 2 other medicine he's drinking --- red cell and an antibiotic. Should I continue giving him these meds? IS it a normal reaction for the allergy to continue? Will there be any side effects? I don't really know what to do. I feel soooo bad, so miserable! But i know I need to pull myself together and take care of my pup first to make sure he doesn't get sick. Is it normal to have Vitamin K allergy? I was thinking that he probably did not eat the racumin but it's not something I was willing to risk, wait out, and see (besides I saw him chew and swallowed). Please help!!
Another info I'd like to add, I did some research and found this out: Racumin is an anticoagulant rodenticide, which contain coumatetralyl 0.75% as active ingredient. Comparing to other anticoagulant bait Racumin has a low toxicity to non target animal, so it will very compatible if combined with biological control. - www.bayer.co.id
Coumatetralyl - After one exposure the toxicity of coumatetralyl is relatively low, however if overexposure continues over several days the product becomes more toxic. That is, the product must be constantly present in the blood for more than 1 to 2 days in order to be hi ghly toxic. A single exposure, even though relatively large, may not produce toxic sypmtoms as the compound is quite rapidly metabolised. Chronic: animal studies show no evidence of carcinogenic or teratogenic effects.
After reading that i'm now thinking if I just overreacted. I don't know, this is really driving me crazy... Should I stop giving him the meds? I'm worry if there will be negative effects on his health if I continue to give him meds while the toxins are no longer inside his body. OOOOh please do help me! I'm having seconds thoughts of going back to the same vet especially after she missed seeing the allergic reation of my pup.
Continue giving the allergy medicine until all signs of the allergic reaction are gone for 24 hours at least. Finish the whole course of antibiotics. He's not On the vitamin K anymore correct? I would follow the vets advice. It seems to be on target.
I've never seen a dog have an allergic reaction to vitamin K but that's not to say it cannot happen. The redness and swelling certainly indicate an allergic reaction to something. So just continue to treat him as your vet prescribed. you did not over react. Rat poison is serious and needs to be treated right away or the animal will die. The result of your "overreaction" is your puppy still being alive. If you hadn't treated him right away he may not be here right now.
Hi, scout1! Thank you for your advice. I haven't stopped giving him the meds and so far he's doing okay. We transferred to a new apartment two days ago and he seems to be enjoying the place.I'm still monitoring him closely.
Yes, he is no longer taking vitamin K. I remember, when I pointed out the swelling and redness in his eyes and snout the vet concluded immediately that it was Vitamin K allergy. Is that safe? I mean, shouldn't they run tests or something? Anyway, after he stopped taking vitamin K his eyelids are no longer red and swollen. But sometimes it seems like it is swollen but not red. hmmmm do dogs get puffy eyes from sleeping?
Thank you for posting this! I had a feeling that her symptoms (basically everything you described) were signs of allergies but if you read all the symptoms of ingesting rat poison you can convince yourself that they're the same symptoms.
I hate to admit this, but this is not the first dog that I've caught eating a block of Tomcat. We learned the first time, force hydrogen peroxide down her throat until she vomits everything and then give Vitamin K pills daily.
It worked fine with our other dog, she had no weird reactions or behavior afterwards so that is why I freaked out when I noticed Cayenne's eye swollen up, heard her coughing, cleaned up her grass-filled vomit, watched her refuse bacon...
I gave her Benadryl last night and the eye swelling went down, this morning her OTHER eye is swollen up! The first eye is back to normalish.
I do believe that she is allergic to Vitamin K, but I admit, I still don't know if I want to stop giving it to her. :/