We got her when she was 3 months old and have been working hard with her ever since. She is in a kennel when we are not home and when we are home she only has access to whatever floor we are on. 75% of the time she will let us know when she has to go. The other 25% she sneaks by when we move the gate for a minute and goes somewhere. She knows better and I spend all day taking her out, praising her for going. She also eats my shoes, clothes, has destroyed our rugs among other things. I am fed up and ready to give up. What can I do besides spend $1000 to give her proper training????
It sounds as if she has too much freedom. You need to go back to square one... if you cannot watch her, she should be in her kennel. If you want her hanging out with you, have her on a leash tethered to you so that you can avoid her sneaking off and having potty and/or chewing incidents. You need to to really stick to it, or you will continue to have setbacks. Even one incident can undue all training you have done thus far, so it is incredibly important to be consistent and not let yourself slip.
Secondly... excercise and mental stimulation. Make sure she is getting adequate amounts... a tired dog is a good dog.
Two things: First, get some jingle bells and string from a department store and tie bells to the string, or go to Walmart, they sell them for $9.99 in the pet section. Hang them from the door you take the dog out. Every time you are ready to take her out, take her paw and ring the bell, then take them out. This will train a dog to ring the bell for you when they have to go and works wonderfully. When you are outside, give a command to go potty. We say "take a break" as that was the command we learned in training. Make sure you reward her with love and pets when she goes outside. Don't wait every two hours, that is too long. Take her out every 30 minutes to one hour when training.
Second: Put your dog on a 3'-4' leash around your wrist and keep her there. She will not go potty on a short leash, and in front of you in the house. Then when you take her to the door, ring the bells and let her off leash, she will adore her freedom to go potty.
I don't crate my pups at night. Use the same leash and tie her to your bed post/leg. She will whine to go and you can let her out the same way you do during the day. She may get you up at night, but within a week, she will be trained day/night.
Right now, she is trained that she can go potty in the house, so managing ALL of her time is crucial at this point for you.
He is your friend, partner, defender, your dog. You are his life, love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
Also a squirt bottle on stream to correct my dog works, she hates it and im not hurting her. I think its sad when an owner raises thur hand and thur dog cowers down like they beat the poor thing. Jus spray ur dog strait in the face and yell no, or bad dog, or whatever it might be shes used too. I have it at my side nice and handy at all times now when shes bad ill I have to do is pick it up and she stops dead in her tracks. Lettme know if it works