My almost five year-old mini daschund, Doobie, quickly developed terrible back symptoms about a week ago. He's been to the vet twice. He's taking Prednisone and Tramadol and doesn't seem to be getting better yet. I was told it will take a lot of time and cage rest to see him feeling better. He's got movement (limited, though) of his hind legs. He's still urinating himself. My vet let me know after looking at his x-rays that he has disk issues in two areas of his back, though one worse that the other, which doesn't make him the best candidate for surgery....he does need a myelogram to determine the extent of the damage --though I want to try to conservative treament of medicine and cage rest first. I'm beside myself because he's just so sad, confused and in pain. He's usually so energetic and happy. I want to be sure I'm doing the right thing and yet can't stop second guessing myself. Please I'm looking for some advice/insight on the time frame of his "coming back" from this
Hello, my dog Argyle has had disc problems since June 2011. We medically treated the problem and he got better after rest; however, it turns out that the improvements were only temporary--even superficial. He ended up losing more strength in his back legs than before and after a brief improvement with steroid therapy, he became totally paralyzed in his back legs. I now have to express his bladder 4x daily and he pretty much poops whenever--and wherever--he feels like it. I was told he needed surgery back in June but the $3500 price tag is too steep for me. I was hoping that I could pay off some credit cards for a few months while he was medically treated (and was making progress) but life had other plans. Argyle's prognosis is pretty poor due to the loss of his deep pain response and the fact that he has been paralyzed for 10 days and still has 4 more to go. If I had the money back when I was told he needed surgery, I would have done it right there and then when his chances of recovery were over 90% (according to the surgeon). Now, I am not even sure if surgery is worth it. If finances are a problem then all you can do is your best to save. If you have the money, you might want to seriously consider going the surgical route. Let me tell you, I experienced more grief grappling with the suggestion to euthanize Argyle than I would have in parting with $3500...at least seeing him walk again would have made the loss of money worthwhile. Just my opinion.
I am so sorry to hear your problem. We had this problem last week and actually ended up having to put our 3 year old dachshund down. We had the exact same issue, and after losing deep feeling in her toes, decided it was not worth the 5,000 dollars and the very difficult recovery for our pup, to not even know if she would recover.
I hope you are at peace with whatever decision you make. Good luck
I have two Doxies a 7 yo female and a 6 yo male, when Lily was 2 she herniated her disks and was immediately completely paralyzed with no deep pain sensation at all, I opted to go ahead and have the surgery and about a month after she was walking again she would drag her toes a little but could walk, no she never regained 100% of her mobility but she still moves around quite well, its been over 5 years and she now has problems with bowel and bladder incontinence, but if I express her bladder often it helps, and well her poos are not that big to worry about however she no longer is allowed to sleep with me because of it. My male Beau just had surgery Tuesday, whats the chances of both your doxies needing surgery? he presented differently I came home from work to find him shaking uncontrollably and when I picked him up he winced but I held him and calmed him down and he seemed ok during the night he whimpered a few times, in the morning he was walking ok but didn't seem himself I was worried but had to go to work, when I got home he wasn't walking, my heart broke to a million pieces I blame myself I should have taken him to the vet right away... both surgeries cost 3500 I was able to pay using CareCredit which is a credit card you can use at the vet, its not that hard to get and they give about 3000. what I am saying is it is worth it I love my babies and want the best for them, Beaus prognosis is good he still hasnt started walking yet but the sensation to his toes is better and he know when he has to pee but cant hold it, and today he did try to lift his legs, small steps...
just a follow up, its been two weeks since Beaus surgery and he is up and walking, still very shaky but can get around on his own still loves to chase his "squeeky" and play with Lily he is happy and healthy.I am VERY happy he had the surgery.