Our family was devastated when we surprised our son with a 9 week old feist puppy. We got it on a Friday night. The puppy seemed wonderfully healthy. He played and ate and just acted perfect. We took it to the vet the next morning (trying to be responsible dog owners) where it received 7-1 vaccinations and worming shot which contained Ivemec). The vet (who has been in business for over 25 years) said the dog looked great, etc. We took the dog home and about 3 hours later he started acting funny. He was losing his balance and trembling a bit. I called the vet back and he said he may be having an allergic reaction to the shots. He told us to give him some Benadryl and call him back if it got worse. We did that and the dog did become worse. He could not stand up at all and started having seizure like symptoms. He could not control himself at all. We called the vet back and he said to bring him in. The vet gave him an epi shot and said he was not sure what was wrong. He mentioned possibly worms in the brain. He gave us a syringe of epi and steroids and sent us back home and told us if the dog started having trouble breathing to give him the shots and bring him back in. I held the dog all evening in my lap. He could not relax at all. He was jerking the whole time. At 9:00 pm we called the vet and told him things were not getting better. We took him back in and the vet gave him the steroid shot which he said would reverse the vaccine and he gave him an IV. The vet took him home with him and the dog died at 4:00 am the next morning. We just could not believe that it happened and we are still troubled at what could have caused this. The vet said he checked the vaccination lot number and the same vaccines had been given to many dogs that week. We are now wondering if the dog could have been given a worming overdose but we are not sure what to think. Has anyone ever experienced anything like this? We contacted the person we got the dog from and the other puppy and parent dogs were fine. The vet was very 'nice' through the whole thing and did not charge us for anything other than the initial vaccines. He even offered to dispose of the dog free of charge.
I sold a Shih tzu puppy to a client. At 6 months of age he went to get another set of vaccinations....he was utd on vaccines. He became sick and died from complications from the vaccine. He hadn't had any previous problems with vaccines. I believe he was given the wrong dose or had an allergic reaction. The vet reimbursed the client for the amount he had paid me for the puppy. Probably an allergic reaction or wrong dose. Sorry for your loss.
reactions to vaccines just happen. The only way to try to prevent a reaction, is not do to many shots at once, and I refuse to do lepto until 12wks. Esp. in smaller dogs, lepto can be a problem. Sorry for you lose, but I don't think anyone did anything wrong. Next time dont do so much at once. Make several vet visits.