This is from another newsgroup I belong to. (NEW YORK, NY) July 29, 2004 -- The ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center cautions animal owners that xylitol, a sweetener found in certain sugar-free chewing gums, candies and other products can potentially cause serious and even life-threatening problems for pets. According to Dr. Eric Dunayer, Consulting Veterinarian in Clinical Toxicology for the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center, dogs ingesting significant amounts of gum or candies solely or largely sweetened with xylitol may develop a fairly sudden drop in blood sugar, resulting in depression, loss of coordination and seizures. "These signs can develop quite rapidly, at times less than 30 minutes after ingestion of the product. Therefore, it is important that pet owners seek veterinary treatment immediately." Dr. Dunayer also stated that some data appears to point to a possible link between xylitol ingestions and the development of liver failure in dogs. However, he cautions "as there is not yet enough solid information pertaining to the relationship between xylitol and liver failure, it would not be appropriate at this point to draw any firm conclusions." The ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center advises pet owners avoid offering their animals food meant for human consumption, and to be especially diligent in keeping candy, gum or other foods containing xylitol out of the reach of pets. "Typically the main concerns are with products that contain xylitol as one of the first ingredients," advises Dr. Dunayer. As with any potentially toxic substance, should accidental exposures occur, it is important to contact your local veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center for immediate assistance.
scout loves some types of candy. mind you i don't intentionally feed her candy except maybe an m&m occasionally. but she does manage to find lollipops of my sons and she likes jellybeans. we don't buy candy more than a few times a year around halloween or easter but i will be more careful now.
Yikes! Scout, I don't think dogs are supposed to have m&m's because they have chocolate, which I understand is potentially fatal to them. I'm still trying to learn all the harmful household food and stuff. I know that my puppy loves plain yogurt because she goes nuts whenever I eat it around her, which is not the case with other foods. Does anyone know if yogurt or any other dairy products are bad for dogs?
Grapes, raisins and onions are all bad for dogs. I think it's actually dark or bakers chocolate that is fatal to dogs. (Not necessarily milk chocolate)I wouldn't give my dog any kind of chocolate though just to be on the safe side.
it is the bakers chocolate that is the worst. it also depends on a specific dogs sensitivity to it. i know a few people who feed a few grapes here and there to their dogs with no problems. also i don't feed her lots of m and m's. just 2 or 3 if we have some. also lots of dogs cannot tolerate daury products and get diarrhea from them but my dogs eat yogurt and drink milk when my husband leaves his glass lying around and they do fine. i wouldn't recommend feeding someones pet chocolatei jsut know in my case my dogs get so little they dont have problems with it.