My 8.5 month old Dal pup had bad pains in the belly last night. He has been doing many many "loud" and "STINKY" farts for about 3 days (which is a bit out of character). Then last night he couldn't settle down, kept walking in circles, lie down, stand up, walk in circles etc etc and making little moaning noises as he looked at us. Then he would lie down and stretch out AS FAR as he could. He also had a hard little belly. He seemed quite uncomfortable. Luckily this morning, he finally went for a BIG poo! Poor darling. For future reference, is there something you can do to or feed dogs to unclog them and make them go to the toilet? Or do you just let them work their way through it?
just my opinion, but i would not give anything that is not prescribed. distended stomachs can mean a miraded of medical problems, which should be seen by a vet. pain is not a good sign either. also you do not want to give to much to make the dog pooh all over the house, but that would be the least of my worries.
I don't think he needs to go to a vet....he's fine this morning after his bowel movement (while on his morning walk I might add!!) We thought all this farting was strange and we kept saying "I wonder what he ate" but it sort of made sense when he got pains in the belly and then seemed constipated. Why? Is constipation really bad? Don't most dogs get constipated now and then?
some people stick the sulfur end of a matchstick in their dogs butt to make them poop before entering a dog show ring. or you can use a baby fleet enema. but take the dog outside immediately after giving the enema or just give it to him outside. yes dogs can get constipated. i know its not this problem now but make sure it isn't bloat before thinking he is constipated. signs of that are a hard stomach, and restlessness. also vomiting which doesnt produce anything .
Out of curiosity, how does the matchstick work? What does the sulphur do to make them go? Strange! Never would have thought of that one!!! What exactly causes bloat? Also Scout1, is it better to just let them pass themselves (which is what I have done every time with other dogs)?
well a not going poo with distending stomach are signs for foriegn object blockage. boxer babe if your dog is going poo. i don't think there is cause for alarm either. that was just my general opinion.
Thanks gunny. What exactly is a distended stomach? I was mildly worried about something being stuck because my sister's dog had a corn cob stuck in her belly about 2 years ago. And I have also seen him try to eat plastic before!!! But everything was fine this morning.
You should take him to the vet first, we had a little shihtzu last week that the bowel was all blocked up. We had to sedate and remove. You can also try some metimucil, depending on how big your pet is. Ask your vet first.
some dogs can pass themselves when they are constipated and some need help. just like humans. we had a few dogs come in to the emergency clinic with your dogs symptoms. pretty funny how mad the people got because they just shelled out a hundred bucks or so just cause their dog had to poop. in some cases and i have only seen this with cats, they get so backed up they need to be sedated and manually cleaned out. but that is a nerve disfunction that causes that to happen. the match thing i don't know why it works i just know some dog show people do it and it works. if your dog bloats its abdomen swells up rock hard and if you tap it it makes a sound like a hitting a drum. what causes it no one knows exactly. there are things like elevating your dogs food dish to eat, not feed 1 hour before or after exercise, soaking the dogs kibble before feeding that are all supposed to prevent it but no one knows for sure. as for foreign object obstruction they won't poop, won't eat and start vomiting. their abdomen usually doesn't swell up with a bllockage but it does become tender .
i have heard to give them some bread. i dunno why, or if it works, but if i see her eyes bugging out when she's trying to potty, i give her a slice r two of bread and try to walkor run her. that usually does the trick, if not immediately, then the next morning. like i said i dunno if it works, but bread cant hurt..
I've heard of lighting a match and blowing it out after a poop to take the smell away - us humans do that - but I've never heard of the match stick thing with a dog to make him go. Do you light the match and then blow it out, let it cool off and then put it up there? Or do you just insert it before lighting? Just curious?