I'm just looking for a opinion on a situation with a puppy. I purchased a male Frenchie in April of this year, from a breeder in Missouri. He came with AKC registration, health certificate, 1 year health guarantee, and microchip. This was the second frenchie I purchased from this breeder, the first was bought in Jan. We drove to Missouri to pick up Jack (the male) and when we picked him up, he had a "rattle" in his chest when he would breathe. He had been bottle fed and was still being bottle fed 2 times a day, so it was thought he had a small cold. After returning home, we took him to our vet and he was given antibiotics, then later on Claritin for the breathing issues. On his first trip to the vet, he was 9 weeks old and weighed 4.5 lbs. We decided that due to his weight and breathing issues, we would wait until he was older to have him tested for other problems. He's now 7 months and 18 pounds. This week, he was sent to Va Tech college to be examined and it was determined he had a severe elongated palate and needed surgery. The breeder had been aware by multiple emails about the breathing issues with him, but she went around the issue. She had called her vet and returned the call telling me to let him wait to see if he grew out of this. I contacted her and sent the copy of the surgical veterinarians diagnosis, along with the receipt where we paid the $2200 for the surgery. Her reply to this email was to send him back to her and that way we would save at least half the amount we would have spent with the purchase price and surgery expense. I think it was misunderstood that we'd already paid for the surgery but after having him 5 months, I had no intention of sending him back. He's part of the family and we wouldn't send one of our kids back because of a medical bill, no more than we would him. I understand that most breeders do not cover this problem with a pup on the guarantee but is that still true if they were showing signs at the time of purchase? We assumed he was ok since her vet signed he was healthy. We have been given the run around with this breeder with other issues as well, for example, the puppy that we bought in Jan has still not received the AKC puppy registration form. So, she's not registered yet and we received the second puppy's form in the mail from her and it stated him as being brindle and he's a cream color. I'm just not sure what to do at this point about the breeder and any advice would be appreciated. I've been told that AKC needs to be aware of the sale of puppies that are showing this defect this early in life and the breeder still using the parents. I realize that you're not a breeding program and may not be able to answer my questions or be able to help. I would just hate for someone else to find themselves in this position and not be able to afford the surgery, therefore would have to relinquish their puppy to a rescue or let the puppy suffer later on in life.
Ok if this problem was present at the time of purchase, why did you buy him? I think that's your answer. If it's not a guaranteed issued, I think you're stuck. you shouldn't have bought him without an addendum clause to cover this.
Any reputable breeder would take back a dog that was not healthy enough to be "pet quality" at any age for a congenital defect. Also, to be fair to the breeder, 2 vets thought the dog had an upper respiratory infection (their vet and yours) so they didn't knowingly sell you a dog with a defect. The rest all depends on your contract and the ethics if your breeder.