I have a new Yorkshire Terrier puppy who was diagnosed with Parvo the day after I brought him home from the airport. He came from a breeder in Texas, and I'm in California. I had him for less than 24 hrs when I had to turn him over to the vet to be hospitalized. The breeder has been great and is paying for ALL of the vet bills, since she sold me a dog infected with a deadly virus. It seems like he will probably pull through and survive the treatment. I have the option of sending him back to the breeder and getting my money back, or keeping my baby puppy and hoping that he'll be a healthy dog. What are the chances that he will be a normal dog if he survives this? Should I try to keep him, or send him back?
I have seen puppies with mild cases of Parvo pull through and turn out to be just fine ,If I were you and the breeder offered to refund your money, I would return the dog before you get too attached and look elsewhere for your pup. Good Luck
That is a hard decision, did you ask her what she would do with the puppy if you sent it back? How sick is she did the vet say. My gut feeling would be to send it back like what was said before, before you get to attached. Do you have other pets in the home. I know with my dogs if there is a problem my contract says they can keep the puppy and I would refund the money for vet bills up to the purchase price of the dog or refund money and they return the pup or they could pick another puppy of equal value. Does your state have a lemon law? Would it be safe for the puppy to travel back to her if it is sick I do not think the airlines would allow the pup to fly anywhere with parvo. Who would pay for the shipping as well as the vet bills you have so far.. I feel bad for you tough decision no matter how you look at it. Let us know how it works out.....
dogs that have survived parvo have gone on to live normal healthy lives. my golden mix had parvo when he was little and lived to be 15 1/2 years old. several people on this forum have had dogs who had parvo who are still living or lived to be ripe old ages. if the breeder is a good one, which it sounds like from her paying all the bills, and she did all the apprpriate testing for health and genetics prior to breeding, there is no reason to assume your puppy will not live out a normal healthy life. imo, i would keep the puppy.
Dogs can still get parvovirus after they've been vaccinated. That's because when you vaccinate a dog, you're trying to build up the dog's immunities after the mother's milk immunities wear off. Ths generally happens sometime in the 6 to 12 week stage, depending on the dog. If the mother's antibodies are still in the puppy andhaven't worn off, they themselves will kill the parvovirus vaccine benefits. If they're not, the vaccine takes. However, usually there's a 'hang time' in between vaccinations when the dog's immune system is weaker. In addition, any kind of strange exposure like an allergy reaction, or whatever, can also weaken immune system and make them more succeptible. That said, once the dog recovers from parvovirus, Ive had 2 dogs nearly die of it and both lived normal healthy lives afterwards. It's up to you. To me it sounds like at least hte breeder is doing the right thing by paying for the vet visits, which means she's genuinely concerned about he health of dogs she sells. Tough call.
aw, hang on to the little pup. she's gonna need a lot of love after this tough situation. Thank goodness for a responsible breeder. i got terrified after i read that it was diagnosed, i was afriad you got scammed by one of those horrid breeders in TX. Best wishes for your little pup!!
She should be as normal as any other dog. Mine was an average dog after nearly dying of parvo, but it took a very long time to get her healthy again she was so skinny. So it will take sometime and I guess it depends on how bad the case is, but hers was very severe so it took awhile for her to get back to normal.