My dog just "licked a plate with a Jimmy John's amount of guacamole clean" thanks to my roommates ignorance. I found the aspca poison control hotline but, as a college student, I don't have $50 to spare at the moment for this one call... can anyone tell me how much guacamole a 50 pound dog has to ingest to be toxic? Please help!!! -Kat
I am not a vet in any way, but I am not thinking that a plate of guacamole should do anything more than maybe some diarrhea.... My advice would be to just keep a sharp eye on your dog, and notice if he doesn't seem right. You can also call a vet, or an emergency vet if it is after hours, and just ASK about it.Luckily, asking is free. No need to take the dog there unless they tell you the dog is in danger and should be brought in, but it's always good to ask to set your mind at ease.
Actually, I think avacados are on the list of toxins for dogs. I asked the question a couple of weeks ago, Ltlgto gave a whole list. I'm pretty sure avacados are bad news. Call an emergency vet. I'm trying to find the post because I think there might be info on what it does.
Actually I stand corrected (or sit). The Avacado is listed among poisonous things for cats and dogs. However, so is chocolate and in order for a dog to get sick from eating chocolate, it'd have to eat about 1/10 of its total body weight in milk chocolate. Maybe more. Anyway... I've known people who've fed their dogs avacado slices and never had anything happen, I don't think that a 1 time consumption by a 50 lb dog (how much did he eat, 2 or 3 oz?) woudl be enough to do serious harm. It's kind of a 'watch and wait' with that kind of stuff.
Oh my goodness, how did I not no that avacados were bad! I am married to a hispanic (mexican) man! We have 'em around here all the time, and my hubby is always giving Gracy a lick or she just helps herself to the table, no matter how many times I tell her she will always believe she belongs at the table! She just hops right up there knowing she's gonna get in trouble! Well, she's still livin' and wilder than ever so I reckon it ain't gonna hurt 'em too bad!
Oops!!! I feed my dog avocado all the time....actually, everytime I eat avocado (which is several times a week), he gets to lick the the hollowed out skins. HE LOVES IT!!! Or even worse, if the avocado has gone too brown inside, we just throw him the whole thing. Hasn't hurt him so far....I would be interested in finding out the toxic quantities though.