Chocolate! My so called "EXTREMELY" usefull top of the notch dog book says chocolate is delious, and EXTREMELY good for dogs! Give it to them AT LEAST once a day to once a week for best results!! Thats the last time I trust that book..
well thats the biggest typo i have ever heard of !! what is the name of this wonderful book ? truth be known, scout LOVES m&m's. i don't feed her a whole bag of them but when i have them she gets a few. milk chocolate is not as toxic as baker's chocolate. bakers chocolate is more concentrated. the rule of thumb for milk chocolate is a dog would need to eat 1 oz. per pound of body weight to become ill. so a 50 lb. dog would need to eat 50 oz. of milk chocolate to be sick. but it is all relative, some dogs may be more sensitive then others. and chocolate cake, cookies, etc. don't count for chocolate toxicity.
My friend's huge dog (mutt) ate 3 1/2 pounds pure chocolate cake, and didn't even throw up. My dog LOVES a little bit of chocolate cupcake now and then, but I only give it to her once in a while. ANd only a little bit of it. My neighbor's bichon frise almost died from eating a drop of chocolate--guess they are all different.
Yup...my Boxers are eating machines. Although, I doubt there are very many dogs that will pass up a tray of cupcakes if given the opportunity...and hey, if the tins are attached....well they must just be part of the food ! lol BUT...they are far from unintelligent. ;-)
My mothers first Boxer ate about 3 tampons. I was afraid he would get TSS. Our vet just told us to watch him carefully and when he actually passed them it was quite a sight. We even had a boston terrier that ate two boxes of Valentines candy and a three layer german chocolate cake, and she didn't get sick.
Sadie ate a family pack of cadbury choc. easter eggs. didn`t evern throw up. just clogged for a couple uv dayz. My dog book recoments choc. too. I thought it was crezy. But hey. the name of the book is. : the encyclopedia of dog breeds.
Carob chocolate is ok for dogs to eat but regular human chocolate is not (as already pointed out) If you are still unsure chat to your vet about it or research online, please dont take the advice given in just one book as gospel
never give your dog caffine on purpose. if he/she accidentally gets some chocolate every once in a while, then that's fine, but you should try to avoid it. once we had a party at our lake house... everyone was down at the dock, swimming and skiing and all and my mother had taken all of the food that our guests brought and she set it out on tables up on the patio up by the house. while we weren't looking, my boxer knocked a plate of brownies of of the table (shattering the china!) and ate every single crumb. however, unlike that boxer who ate the chocolate cake, mine didn't keep her's in! the next morning, (they sleep in crates at night) we went to let them out, and there was diarhiea(sp) all over the walls, floor, and not to mention, my once white bichon that had been victimized in the cage next to her. We had to laugh! I looked like she had been turning around in circles while this was happening! Poor thing! Then we stopped laughing when we realized we would have to clean it all up...