Thank you for thinking of us! It has been difficult for me to write about... Well, she went for about 3 months with no seizures. But then this bone on the top of her head started really showing... I am not sure if I posted it here.. but I took her to the vet about it , and I got 3 possible answers. Masticular myositis, cancer, or that's just the way her head is. Well, the lump (which is hard, like bone) only showed up maybe 2 days before the vet appointment, so I know it isn't just the way her head is. Then a week or so ago, she had another seizure. I have made a really tough decision about this. With my visa bill (only for vet) over $2,000 now, I am going to ignore this problem unless she is in pain. If she becomes in pain, or senile, I will have to let her go. If I thought I could pay and fix everything, I would somehow do so. But as it is, even if she went through the operations that would be necessary for either of the causes possibly diagnosed for the lump on her head, she could still have a seizure the very next day and be wiped out. I hope you all understand. I love her very much, and will continue to forever, but I have done all I am able. This is a picture of the top of her head from the front. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v132/shinyblackpit/head.jpg Pit bulls should have more of a heart shape there. There is an upward pointing ridge along the lines of her skull and then a "knot" at the top, much like the knot that you can feel/see on the top of a GSD's head.
When you decide to get a dog, everyone makes a point of telling you how hard it is to care for a dog for fifteen years, but they never mention how hard it is when you think you may not get to care for the dog for fifteen years. You and Missy are in my thoughts and prayers.
Shiny about 4 years ago I had to make that decision about a 14 month old puppy. It broke my heart. She had a tumor that took up 75% of her bladder,she lost control of her body functions. Even if we where to have it removed ,there was no gaurentee she would be alright. It was beyond our financial range ,and Noey was just a baby starting life. Prior to this she almost died from being spayed.It was heart breaking,I had to do what I felt was right.Even today I feel guilty though.My prayers go to you.
yes i remember you posting about her head. i am sorry for bringing it back up for you. i was just concerned about you and her. i completely understand your decision. we made a similiar decision with our pyr when we got her at 4 years of age. based on the info the neurologist had given me there was no guarantee that if he were to do anything that it would help her and could actually make her worse. the neorologist told us to expect to put her down within 6 - 18 months. she lived with us for 5 years. so maybe there is that same hope for missy. i will certainly pray that there is.
Thank you everyone! On the bright side, she is her usual happy, active self. No sign that she knows anything about a lump on her head, and so far there has only been the one seizure since we got the meds where they need to be. So I may just have quite a few years to enjoy her yet.