My dog got poisoned from insectiside. We went to the vet and he was treated, but he's had some drastic behavior change. I want to know if this is normal? Will he get back to normal? Do I just have to give him time to recuperate?
He was always a very playful and loving dog, an alpha, but not overly agressive. Now he sleeps all day, won't play with the other dog, will randomly attack the other dog, eats voraciously 2-3 times more than before, growls when I pet him, doesn't play at all and is taken to guarding his food, sleeping in front of the door to keep the other dog out, randomly just staring into space.
I fear that he could have some brain damage from the insectiside, but the vet says he's fine just give him time. I just want to get a sense from others about the recuperation period and if all these behaviour changes are normal.
It sounds like it has attacked his nervous system and /or done some other damage. I dont have a lot of experience with insectiside poisoning but I dont know that time will heal the aggression. Have they done any blood work to see if it has affected his liver or kidneys? Sometimes their behavior willchange when they are in pain. Good luck
They haven't done any blood work, but I'm about ready to ask for it. I live overseas, so I'm a little concerned about the capacity here. I've sent an email to a vet in the US, hopefully they can tell me something a bit more definitive.
I wonder why they didn't do bloodwork? I think I might try another vet if I were you. Sounds like to me he might have some problems, I would sure have it checked out, espically with him being more aggressive. That would be scary to me with the other dog there. Just doesn't sound right.
Is he eating and drinking ok? I would definately do bloodwork! I would also put him on a holistic diet till he gets all the toxins out of his body. All he needs is more chemical's and preservatives to help slow the healing time down. Did he eat the insecticide or did he breath it in? How did he get the poisoning?
I had a dog once that the neighbor kid threw rat poison over ourwall to him and I can tell you he was never the same. He was no longer housebroke and would occasionally get aggressive with us. he was slightly parilized on one side. Good luck with your baby
Thanks for the comments. I think living in a third world country, where vets have different training and don't see pets the same as americans do, leads them to a different type of care. The vet is good, but he seems more concerned with treating the problems he can find and not as much with diagnosing the other problems. I think I'll bring my dog back and insist on some diagnostic tests.
With your poisoned dog, did you try and bahavorial training after to see if you could get him back to normal?