My almost 9 month old puppy was just diagnosed this morning with cutaneous histiocytoma and the vet (not our regular vet, but regular clinic) said that most of these lesions regress on their own within 3 months.
I took him in on Thursday to have the lesion checked out and the vet tried 3 times to aspirate cells to send in for cytology, but she could not get a good sample, mostly red blood cells she said. So it was recommended just to remove the mass then send it in for a biopsy to make sure it was nothing serious. I didn't totally trust that dx so I took Tucker in to our other vets office yesterday and he was able to get cells, said they were round cells, so he sent them out to the lab and called this am with the dx.
Has anyone else gone through this? I just lost my English Springer Spaniel to lymphoma on 9/13/05, so I am very anxious when it comes to cancers in dogs. The vet said that the diagnosis was the best outcome, that it could have been mast cell or lymphoma, but I am still not sure if I should just wait 3 months or have them remove it.
Sorry for rambling, any advice will be appreciated.
since they are benign and seem to resolve and disappear on their own i would wait it out. unless the growth is causing irritation to your pup therefore becoming a management problem or causing secondary infections.
anesthesia is always a risk so for something benign i would rather wait it out and see if it is necessary to go under and have it removed.
***Edited By: Scout1 on 7/8/2006 1:52:23 PM*** Reason: x
Thanks - I will try to wait it out and just keep a close eye on it. I too don't like the idea of anesthesia unless it's totally necessary. I'm just hyper-sensitive when it comes to any type of cancer (malignant or non) after experiencing the swiftness of lymphoma. Also, since we have his litter-mate I'm concerned that he doesn't develop one also.
I had a friend who's Boston had the same thing and the vet took a sample and it was benign and he said if they get it before they get a year old, it almost always goes away with no further problem. He gave her some medicine and she said it is all better. She was a basket case, worrying about putting him under for surgery. Now she and the dog are ok. Good luck, maybe ypurs will be the same.
Merico, I'm not exactly sure what schnauzer bumps are. I did have 2 vets examine him and one wasn't sure because she couldn't get a good aspirate but still wants to remove it, and the other, after aspirating the bump and sending it to the lab, said it was the cutaneous histiocytoma.
*I just searched "schnauzer bumps" and they are not what Tucker has. His lump is on his lower left back leg and looks just like the pics of the histiocytoma.
Hope it just goes away, have dealt with enough cancer with people and pets.
***Edited By: terrierterror on 7/8/2006 11:24:25 PM*** Reason: add
Last Thursday my just turned four year old Mini Schaunzer had a lesion removed - the vet was concerned due to its redness. Once the vet went in to remove this lesion his opinion was Mast Cell Tumor. I didn't expect that at all and because she is so young... Today he called with the pathology report - it is a Curtaneous Histiocytoma. What a relief! My point though - I'd rather have it removed and checked vs. having the dog go through the aspiration process etc. I feel better having it gone! As long as the your vet is certain what it is - do what you are most comfortable with. My dog does have sutures from the surgery whereas the aspiration is non invasive. Good luck and try not to worry :)
Sweetbean - glad to hear your dog is going to be ok. I actually have an appointment scheduled for Tucker later today for a recheck on his histiocytoma. I had to go out of town for a memorial service and when I got back it had almost quadrupled in size and was bleeding a little bit. Now I'm afraid that the other vet didn't get a good sample and that it might be a mast cell tumor - hopefully the vet, who is not our regular, will have some answers. And I definitely want it removed asap.