I'm debating to allow her to whelp or not (puppies are too much work!). The vet. said she would do the spay but I'm having a little of bit of a concience? problem. She's goint to whelp (if allowed) in less than a month.
I know my opinion is an unpopular one doxies. But I'll stand by it. I don't preticularly like the idea but I think its the right thing to do. Personally the burden of responsibility for the litter would be even greater then the decision to have the spay done.
I think breeding requires to much research, planing, decision making, opinion weighing and everything else just to hope whatever is randomly growing in her womb works out.
So its a very unpopular opinion. but thats what makes it all so fun.
I wouldn't abort the puppies unless there was a risk to the mother. It is a tough decision, and it is unfortunate either way. I think not spaying is probably the unpopular opinion on here :)
That is ok too.
You know if you don't think you can guarantee that ANY of the puppies will have a life of anything other than pain and suffering. Sure, do what you need to do, but to abort them is not giving any of them even a chance.
I couldnt do it- these are puppies and im sure would make it if she had them right now... Im sure these pups will find good homes. I would hope anyways but i do think its just fo far along in the pregancy to abort them. Its like how would the vet even do that? put each puppy to sleep? being that far along i would think that they need to have a chance at life- they are almost here....
They are not almost here. They are no where near viable. They do not even start to calcify until that last 7-10 days. They are not viable outside of the womb. The earilest may be 3 days premature and you will still loose most of them.
They are half developed if that. Not little breathing dogs that could be alive outside of the bitch right now.
I want to thank all of you guys that replied to this thread.
My family and I have decided to allow Gracie to whelp her puppies. We don't think we can live with ourselves if we cut these puppies lives. In a way, I think we also rescued them (before they were born) from the lives they would of had if Gracie would of continued with her previous owners. After all they were going to be born (most likely) before I decided to accept Gracie into my home.
"NOTE: Toby was attacked by another foster dog that got into the house through an unlocked sliding door and killed Toby:(. He never stood a chance."
In my opinion, I would have the dog spayed now. Her puppies will stand zero chance if one of the other multiple foster dogs in the family decides to attack, again. The mother dog would probably fight to her death to defend her newborns and wouldn't that be defeating the purpose of rescue?
Do the right thing and have the dog spayed now. It isn't worth the risk of another attack in the household.
Although I am a supporter of spaying/nuetering rescues and not breeding them. I think if I were in thi situation, I would not spay if the female only had 3-4 weeks left to go. Anything less and I would definitely spay.
It bothers me though the comment about puppies being too mauch work. While your right, they are alot of work, the way the comment was made, makes me thing that in your case you need to spay her. You dont sound ready, prepared or willing to take on what is about to come.
Not sure about the rescue situation of yours, I didnt look at your link.