She (the dog) is 11 yrs old, 1/2 golden 1/2 chow. Normally extremely active, running figure 8's in the yard. About 4 months or so ago she got a hot spot, went to the vet, got meds, ointment,etc..My mom had her shaved a little while later when the boo boo was not as raw. Well, I went over to her house to visit, and noticed Rio had lost alot of muscle tone in her legs, and she was not acting herself. Keep in mind that this dog would run circles up until a few weeks ago. She has had regular vet check ups, shots, fecals, heartworm, flea, and dentals as well as the occasional boo boos fixed.
OK,,about 9 months ago, the vet diagnosed her with kidney failure. She would be laying down and just pee in the house w/o knowing she did. My mom called me today and asked if I would make an appt at the vet to have her PTS, I said I would.
Basically, what I am asking with all this rambling is what would you do? Would you take her in for another exam to find out if she just needs more meds, or would you go ahead and put her to sleep?
She is barely eating now, drinking normally, but not even 1/2 as active, and lost muscle tone. She does not even get up anymore when my dad gives her food. They have had her since my oldest daughter was only 2, and she's (my daughter) is 13 now.
Thanks for reading all that, I am a little scatter brained this morning, and sort of depressed about having to make the call.
Hard decision. You will pretty much have to assess what her quality of life is. Is she in pain? Does she look sad and depressed? The best thing is to have evaluated one last time by the Vet and get his opinion. If she is suffering, then there's no need to prolong it. By not enjoying her food any more I would say that she may be suffering.
That's what I told my mom. I don't want to put her down, and my daughter loves her, but I feel as you do. Who would be benefiting on not doing it, her or them. I feel her quality of life is nothing like it was, and she seems sad to me when I go over there to visit. But when I bring my Rottweiler over, she perks up a little, then goes back down. In a way, I think it would be best for her to do the humane thing.
I dunno...I would probably have a blood panel done. It might give you answers and make you feel better about the decision. Most hospitals can run the blood while you wait. She could be in complete kidney failure.
jackie, speaking from my personal experience only, when we look for others to help us, give us information,in situations this serious, sadly we already know the answer. quality of life is the single most important thing taking into consideration all aspects, pain included. Please dont mis understand, I am hardly saying its not right to ask, of course it is, that's why we have this forum. I'm just pointing out that many of us with the amount of experience we do have.. need comfort in knowing others agree on the decisions we already know have to be made and are right.
"It is the love that sometimes forces us to do the unbearable. It is also the love that slowly heals our broken hearts"
Jackie, unfortunately, what you're describing is, as you know a very bad condition. We always hope beyond hope that someone can fix our dogs for us,and the answer we're looking for is not possible. I'm very sorry for your situation,and keep you in my thoughts, and prayers.
Everybody's quality of life seeps away little by little, some more quickly than others. It sounds like recovery from the hotspot may have been the catalyst for this baby, but, IMO, you shouldn't measure how she used to be to how she is now. If she isn't in pain, if she's still eating, drinking, taking care of "her business" on her own, and is appreciative of human interaction, IMO, she's not ready yet.
I'd definitely get a complete blood panel done to see what there is to see before I made a final decision.
Also, and this may be contrary to a lot of people's thinking, what's wrong with letting the dog die on its own? Unless it's in pain all the time, why make that decision, when nature will take its course eventually?
I am not comparing her to when she was a pup or a teenager, but in fact to just a few weeks ago. SHe was running and chasing the squirrels, now she just lays there. SHe is taking care of her business, but half the time she doesn't even know she had business to take care of. I am just simply stating what I see when I go over there, which is almost every day. She isnt eating normal amounts, maybe a cup a day now. I just can't see the point in watching her go down hill. But she's not my dog either....
Thanks for all the input, I do appreciate everyone's opinions and what they would do!!!!!!!!!
Jackie, a thorough exam, and blood panel, as corgi said, is definitely in order. You know youself if this dog is suffering or not. I think the final determination will be the results of the vet's exam , and his recommendation, and your own good sense. I''m sorry, there's no easy way to go about this, and very sorry for your situation, give the dog a big hug, and another one for you.
My mom and I took her to the vet yesterday afternoon and he drew blood for a complete k9 profile. Hopefully this will determine if she is in complete kidney failure or if anything else is going on with her.
Jackie, my heart aches foryou. We were in almost the same point about 3 years ago. Our Yorkie had kidney failure and an enlarged heart. After all the tests we went with the meds after about 5 weeks he was getting worse. We asked our vet, "what would you do if it were your dog?" His answer, "Norma this dog has given you guys 12 years of love, you owe it to him to give him the same kind of love and let him go to sleep, he is in pain. thats all we needed to hear. Hubby and I held him while he went to sleep and he is buried in our backyard with our other pets. Depending on what the vet says you will make the right decision, please let us know, we are always here for you.
Just to be clear when I suggested having blood work done I did not mean that your choice to put this dog to sleep would be the wrong one. At least for me, the decision is easier when I have all of the facts. I don't like second guessing myself. Definately quality of life should come before anything else. I just thought having all the facts may make the decision easier.