The following is not a forwarded email from someone else. This is regarding two of my cats.
Last Friday evening I purcahsed Hartz OneSpot flea treatment for my cats at Wal-Mart. I put it on 4 cats Friday evening. Saturday morning one cat, Radar, was very lethargic. I washed the treatment off of him with Dawn dish soap & called the vet. Took him in, he received an injection & I was told to watch him. He seemed to stabalize over the weekend but Monday morning was obviously worse. Took him back to the vet. He was placed on IV fluids and blood work was ran. Radar died this evening. He was 3 years old.
This morning one of my other cats, Bailey, was showing the same signs. She also received a Dawn bath and I took her to the vet. Her blood work was ok & she was given IV fluids during the day as a precaution. I brought her home tonight & I am to keep an eye on her to make sure she eats and drinks. They think she will be ok.
Upon talking to the two veterinarians, I discovered that Hartz products are widely known to be one of the most toxic flea & tick treatments on the market. Thousands of dogs & cats die each year. THOUSANDS !!!! I googled 'hartz flea' on the internet and was amazed at what I found. Three of the websites are below. I find it unbelievable that so many suffer yet this product is still on the market.
I contacted a local TV station and they are going to run a story on this. I contacted Hartz Mountain company. The person I spoke with did not give any indication of being surprised. She took my information, information about my cats, the veterinarian. I am to send them a statement, diagnostic letter from my vet and copies of the vet bills. I'm anxious to see if they pay the bill so easily. I have also contacted the EPA who regulates this product because it is a PESTICIDE !!! They have information on their website concerning this as well.
Please pass this on to everyone you know. This has GOT TO STOP !!!
Thanks for sharing. I don't buy the over-the-counter flea and tick prevention but it is good to know. I do know someone who bought the Hartz brand and her little dog died. The vet said that is definitely what killed her dog.